Touring 2009 up - Non-Removable Rear Fork Bracket

Started by Tacocaster, March 04, 2021, 12:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacocaster

I was told quite a while ago the Twin Cam Engine was built using some of the best input and suggestions from a wide pool of HD's Mechanics. Not arguing if that's true or not (but I do have additional suggestions), it leaves me wondering, if that were more than just a rumour, why would HD change the design of the 2009 and up Right Rear Fork Bracket (Breather-side) from "removable" to "fixed"?

I've replaced the Touring's Rear Fork Bushings on a few 06's, 07's and 08's but when I approached a 2010 for the first time....what the feck??
What was once a simple hour - or 1 1/2hour at most, job was now a gruelling, PIA 3 hour plus task.

Must have something to do with rigidity in the new frame design I'm guessing, but really? Having one-side fixed makes THAT much difference?? And if yes, then why not change the design to maintain easy access to that right-side Rear Fork Bushing?

Since it's a no-brainer to at least consider a belt change while you're in there (you're half way there), maybe that made some Marketing Folks eyes sparkle and "poof!", it was so.

Progress? Sometimes ya gotta wonder......
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.