March 28, 2024, 09:42:14 AM

News:

Check valve oil leak

Started by fleetmechanic, March 04, 2021, 12:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetmechanic

March 04, 2021, 12:54:34 PM Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 03:02:20 PM by fleetmechanic
Got a 2017 FLHTP that leaks oil where the hose from the check valve is clamped.  Was this a common problem on the early M8s and will I be able to access the clamp without removing a lot of other stuff?

Update:   I found the recall #0170 on this and will proceed to replace the clamp. Old style was an Oetiker type that wasn't crimped right.  New one is a spring clamp.  Footboard and brake pedal need to come off to do it.

nomadmax

What kind of "check valve" is part of the oil cooler lines?

fleetmechanic

The fitting that the hose is clamped onto is shown as a check valve for air cooled engines.  It
is in the parts book.

nomadmax

fleetmechanic

March 09, 2021, 10:46:44 AM #4 Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 11:18:36 AM by fleetmechanic
Well, this one already had the spring clamp of the type used under recall.  I installed another of the spring style clamps but if it leaks I'll change it to the oetiker style used on the '18-later models. The footboard and the brake pedal had to come off but since I couldn't access
the cotter pin on the pedal I removed the two bolts that hold the master cylinder in place and slid the pedal off the stud with the cotter pin still intact.