April 19, 2024, 12:10:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 Clutch Actuator

Started by markymark, March 15, 2021, 07:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markymark

Are the aftermarket actuators (AIM, Rekluse) really that much better than the O. E. part ??

kd

Quote from: markymark on March 15, 2021, 07:20:48 AM
Are the aftermarket actuators (AIM, Rekluse) really that much better than the O. E. part ??

Do a search with those terms on this sight and you will learn lots.  :wink:
KD

markymark

Did the search. Was just looking for rear world experience.

Hossamania

Quote from: markymark on March 15, 2021, 08:33:26 AM
Did the search. Was just looking for rear world experience.

A friend of mine put the AIM unit in. Loves it, he did not like the stock unit at all.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

brokenwing

Quote from: markymark on March 15, 2021, 07:20:48 AM
Yes :up:

Dan89flstc

I installed the Muller actuator not long after I bought my `19 Electra Glide.

It reduced the effort required at the clutch lever, but more importantly it moved the friction zone toward the center part of the lever travel.

I am very satisfied with the Muller.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

HogMike

HOGMIKE
SoCal

Bigs

I installed one on my 17 Road King. Big difference - easier to pull and biggest benefit was a larger friction zone which made it a lot easier to control the bike on slow tight turns. Worth every cent.
   Bigs

Pirsch Fire Wagon

AIM is an excellent improvement over Stock
Tom

ziggy24

Aim is already on their 3rd generation of slave cylinders. I had two that went back because they leaked. I later installed a Rekluse torq drive clutch kit on my bike and could no longer find neutral.  I called AIM and explained the problem and they said they never heard of a Rekluse torq drive clutch. I called Rekluse and they explained that AIM's slave did not have enough travel to release the added clutch plates and my options were to use their slave cylinder (with their clutch pack) or go back to a stock slave with their clutch I chose theirs and it works perfect. Reduced effort and better release point. So if you ever think you will install a torq drive clutch pack in the future, go with Rekluse. Even if you don't plan on it, it works like the other slaves out there. It may require a tiny bit more effort to operate than the others, but nothing drastic.

Bigs

Early AIM clutch slaves has plastic encapsulated O-rings which had a tendency to leak. The repair was a regular O-ring which they now use on all their clutch actuators. My clutch actuator was a early one that leaked but with new O-rings it's great, no problem with the clutch disengaging.
   Bigs

guydoc77

Quote from: Dan89flstc on March 15, 2021, 01:47:00 PM

It reduced the effort required at the clutch lever, but more importantly it moved the friction zone toward the center part of the lever travel.

I just bit the bullet and installed tall bars with extended clutch/brake lines on my '15 RG.
While I was there, I installed the Muller actuator.
Huge difference in pull (better) and yeah, the friction zone is much improved also.
The reduced pull with the Muller actuator is so much reduced that I actually thought I mustn't have bled it properly. Rebleeding it didn't change it and I got no air.
Works very well and I highly recommend it.

markymark

I installed the AIM unit yesterday. Huge improvement in clutch feel and engagement.

road-dawgs1

Quote from: Dan89flstc on March 15, 2021, 01:47:00 PM

+1
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

flh canuck

What a timely post. I just received my Muller slave cylinder in the mail today and installed it this afternoon. My bike is a 2018 Ultra Limited with some performance upgrades but all stock clutch. I never really liked the stock hydraulic clutch for the same reason as everyone else. Engaged way to late in the lever travel and the pull was too heavy for my liking, especially in stop and go traffic. I found my left hand would start to cramp up after to much use.

During the install, I experienced the same issue as a previous poster. I used a mighty vac pump to bleed the system and thought I was having issues because the clutch pull was so light.  I finally figured out that the light clutch pull was simply the result of the new slave cylinder. I fired the bike up to check before buttoning everything up and sure enough, the clutch was releasing just fine with the clutch lever pulled in.

Went for a road test after everything was back together and the difference is night and day. Clutch releases perfectly with lever pulled in, friction zone is now in the middle of the travel where it should be and friction zone also seems to be much wider now as it still only fully engages with lever at the end of its travel.

Short story long, I am amazed at how much better the clutch effort / engagement point is over stock. In my opinion, this is how the clutch should have been set up from the factory. Not sure why Harley did not use a similar set-up but maybe the stock slave cylinder set up saved them 50 cents per unit during the manufacturing process. Go with the upgrade and you will be glad you did.
2018 Ultra Limited. Back in black!

CVOThunder

Went with the Recluse from day one when they installed the 131 kit, not sure what the stock one felt like. First time I ever bought a bike sight unseen and had them install a big engine from the get go. Had to trade in 2 Twin Cam bikes to get there and a boat load of cash. Runs out nice though.
Photons by the bag. Gravitons not  shipped outside the US.

Ken R

YES!  I've installed several including AIM and Mueller.  All good.  Wrists are happy.