April 18, 2024, 10:54:19 PM

News:

Cracked left side motor case!

Started by CraigArizona85248, July 23, 2012, 09:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twincamzz

Nice work Craig ! Won't be long & the vespa will be gathering dust in the corner  :up:
not all who wander are lost...

CraigArizona85248

January 19, 2013, 03:51:20 PM #151 Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 02:53:56 PM by CraigArizona85248
I'm getting real close to firing it up. Last night I laced up the rear wheel with a new Akront aluminum rim. Today I mounted the tire, installed the wheel, rebuilt the carb, installed the ignition and exhaust and installed the right side controls. I also pulled the front wheel, removed tire and removed the old rim and spokes from the hub. Cleaned up the hub so it's ready for a new Akront aluminum rim. I'll lace up and true the rim after dinner.  After I mount the tire and wheel it will be time to give it a go!

Photo Link

CraigArizona85248

Laced up the front wheel after having some dinner.

easyricer

Just ride the damned thing!

CraigArizona85248

It's alive!  Gave it a few primer kicks, switch on the ignition and it started on the second kick.  Smoked a bit for the first couple minutes, but I suspect that was just prelube burning off.  Felt good to pull out of the driveway and head down the street.

:chop:

76shuvlinoff

Do a lap for me Craig  :up:. 17 degrees here and the wind is whipping.

Glad you're back up again!
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

CraigArizona85248

Snuff™

January 20, 2013, 01:18:08 PM #157 Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:20:51 PM by Snuff™
Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on January 20, 2013, 11:09:30 AM
FirstStartAfterRebuild
Thanks for the vid!! :up:

Probably out riding right now.  You lucky SOB.
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

easyricer

Just ride the damned thing!

Deye76

:up: Sounds tight, and quiet too.  :chop:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Gunny

Nice vid and thanks for sharing all these works!

ricochet

Hi Craig,

Is that the same blue color you had before?  I noticed the different paint scheme but am wondering about the blue.  It looks absolutely awesome.

ricochet

CraigArizona85248

January 28, 2013, 09:55:45 AM #162 Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 02:56:35 PM by CraigArizona85248
Ricochet,

Thanks.  I'm liking this color a lot better then the previous blue.  The paint was redone fall 2011 prior to the crack in the motor case showing up.  It's a GM color called Aqua Blue Metallic (WA 638R).

Here is the old and new blue in similar lighting...

Old...
Photo Link

New...
Photo Link

grunt

"Pain is weakness leaving the body"

Blazing Saddles

Craig:  Looks good and sounds great! Yea, I wish I still had my '62.   :emsad:  But, but, but, that front hub,  it isn't chromed??
LOL -  :hyst:   Mine wasn't either. 

Blazin'

70weight

Been following this thread Craig. Tough luck about the crack but one mighty fine repair.
The ol' scooter is looking great and I like the new paint job!
Chappy
Can't drink all day if ya don't start in the mornings.

CraigArizona85248

Chappy!  Dang good to see you still check in here.

Been riding the panhead for about two months since the repair was finished. So nice to have her back again. It's 90F and sunny today. What happened to spring?  Hasn't officially started yet and it's feeling like summers here.

-Craig

70weight

I check in a bit just don't always post. I always enjoy looking at what all of you do to keep your ol' iron on the road!
Can't drink all day if ya don't start in the mornings.

CraigArizona85248

I realized that when Photobucket went to a "Pay-Per-View" model, all the photos in this thread were lost :(

Today, I went through the thread and restored as many of the photos as I could find.  There are a few that I don't have copies of anymore.

-Craig