March 28, 2024, 02:47:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Timing a 49 panhead

Started by Nick9900, March 16, 2021, 05:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick9900

So, i just received a mallory a556 timer, I followed the instructions set the front cylinder to tdc . lined the marks on the timer. Fought with it and never could get anything out of the bike. i rotated it about a 180° and got it going. but i dont think thats right. Sounds off ish.. almost like running one lung but not. plugs both looked equal and not black and not white. kind of at a loss. I know most prefer points. Im leaning that way. but  i would also like to use what i got. any guidance and expertise is appreciated.

Ohio HD

You are running a 12 volt system? The ignition requires 12 volts, and also a 3 ohm 12 volt coil.

Nick9900

Ohio HD

Nick9900

what about me rotating it 180 out from its supposed alignment?

Ohio HD

I have no idea.

Front cylinder on compression, advance line middle of the window. Arrow on shutter points to I think a mark on the distributer case.

Nick9900

I don't feel like it should run 180 out. But the electric is a bit out of my league

kd

I don't know if this disappeared or I forgot to click on "post".  :embarrassed: The 45 degree twin lobes are not directly apart (180*) from each other.  Did the instructions say TDC "front" cylinder or "#1 cylinder"?  Could you have timed it to the wrong cylinder?
KD

Ohio HD

The Unilite distributor times to the front cylinder just as an OEM points distributor.

Nick9900

I pulled plugs pulled pushrod cover of intake front cylinder rolled until front intake closed turned until the mark line cam up. Both pushrods front cylinder were able to be spun. That's where I tried to m atch my ignition to.   :idunno:

kd

KD

Nick9900

got it. The rotor was 180 out on the shaft in the housing so thats why i had to rotate the breaker 180 to get time. i also in the process had over tightened the front exhaust pushrod. Got that set right and re-done the break with the corrected rotor and got it started. Then was able to time light it. Got it down to a one kick start when hot now. Runs great, only thing now is im waiting for new O-rings for the pushrod tubes. The ones in are brittle and start to break leaking some oil. Lots when i pulled the timing plug. :chop:

Tynker

Why not use cork  o rings. They work just as good on those old engines.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Nick9900

Cork is whats there now but falling apart, got more cork in route

Hillside Motorcycle

If I remember correctly, I had to futz with the Mallory distributor in my Pan also.
1 stab when warm also.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Malamute

Quote from: Nick9900 on March 16, 2021, 06:16:27 PM
I don't feel like it should run 180 out. But the electric is a bit out of my league

Just to note,...They will run 180 out. I did a tune on a guys Pan once, realized it was set 180 off, he about had a cow when I pulled the distributor and reset it. When he rode it afterwards he said it never ran so good.