April 27, 2024, 07:11:25 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2000 FXDXT Front fork rebuild

Started by Prostock, March 09, 2021, 02:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prostock

What's wrong here, We do not have a retention lip on bottom of fork tube to retain lower fork bushing.   :scratch:

[attach=0,msg1380380]

[attach=1,msg1380380]

lumberjacklloyd

Hybredhog

Both tubes? if other has lip, machining mistake? Fortunately conventional tubes on other models can be used if you need to get a new one, innards & caps can be exchanged.

I see that this is some sort of custom bike, maybe previous builder thought he was lowering it by doing that. If that's the case, I'd be scared of a lot of things on the bike.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Deye76

If tubes need replaced, the dealer can order them. Cheaper than aftermarket in some cases. Dealer got me RP factory tubes (which are 2" over) for $200.00. Half of what CCE wants.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Prostock

We discovered that someone cut the ends off because conventional tube will not except cartridge assembly's. Can someone tell me what is stock length on 2000 FXDXT tube.
Thanks

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

lumberjacklloyd

Quote from: Prostock on March 18, 2021, 03:12:58 PM
We discovered that someone cut the ends off because conventional tube will not except cartridge assembly's. Can someone tell me what is stock length on 2000 FXDXT tube.
Thanks

Your only choice is the HD tubes for DX forks. No others are the correct length for cartridges.

turboprop

Length is not the issue. It is how the bottom end of the tube is configured. Length is nothing. It is possible to take a set of non-DX tubes and machine the ends for use with the cartridges.

That being said, here is an alternative solution. The DX setup is junk. Better than the non DX fork, but in the big scheme of things, it is junk. Instead of the DX abortion, one could use a set of non-DX tubes of whatever length they want and a set of aftermarket cartridges from the usual suspects.

Traxxion Dynamics has a really good cartridge emulator, much better than the toy units offered by RaceTech.

I think the DX lowers can even be used in this configuration but the adjusters would have no affect.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.