March 28, 2024, 02:35:48 PM

News:

Very hard to walk bike

Started by Wookie3011, March 20, 2021, 03:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wookie3011

My 2016 Fatboy S has been getting very hard to walk forward and back. I have also noticed lately around turns it sways for a brief moment
. It almost feels like I loose traction. I've checked and torqued my back axle. Any ideas? This season when i first pulled it out of the garage i swore I had a flat tire trying to walk it back. That's how hard it is to walk. No rubbing sounds, brakes look good.   Thanks

Ohio HD

Lift the bike off the tires, check wheel bearings, wheel spin for normal bearing operation, swingarm movement, transmission free roll, etc.

truck

Did you check tire pressure? Twenty pounds low on pressure might look OK but will show behavior like you are experiencing.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Ohio HD

Quote from: truck on March 20, 2021, 03:41:51 PM
Did you check tire pressure? Twenty pounds low on pressure might look OK but will show behavior like you are experiencing.

:up:

Wookie3011

Sorry for the late response. Just got off of work. I gotta admit I'm ok lifting the back on the HF lift, but the front I've never done. ill figure it  out and let you know what I find. Tire pressure is good to go.

fidel

hbkeith

were you in netrual or in gear with clutch in ? how long it sit , brake rotor rusty ?

smoserx1

Quotewere you in netrual or in gear with clutch in ? how long it sit , brake rotor rusty ?
:agree:
There is no reason that HF lift should not be able to get both wheels of that bike up enough to figure this out.  Anyway I had similar issues years ago with every Honda bike I ever owned with disk brakes.  White crud would crystalize around the caliper piston preventing the pads from releasing.  One did it so bad the disk turned golden-brown from heat and stayed that way permanently (later it worked OK but always squealed loudly afterwards).  The only solution, disassembly, cleanup and fluid change.  I am also thinking that if caliper pins are not properly greased or low quality grease  used this may cause issues.  I recently did a fork job on my bike and found the particular grease I was using almost seemed to have turned to glue after a few years.  Removed all the sliding surfaces. cleaned them up with solvent and re-greased.  This stuff needs frequent attention.  Good luck, let us know.

BigT

Is your rear drive belt too tight?

Wookie3011

I was do for 10,000 mile service so I dropped the bike off to Harley. Damn screw in my tire.. I checked the tire pressure and it was low added air. Back bearings where replaced and Brake pads in the back. Easily walking it now. Of course they lightened up my wallet about a grand so that helps that I don't  have to much weight on the bike while walking it. I did purchase a scissor jack for my lift from drag specialties. Its awesome! Now she's on the lift getting her eye brows raised. Damn, those wires where hard to get through. Thanks to AL for your help.

smoserx1

Did that price include a new tire?

JW113

A word of caution about those scissor jack lift tables (if that is what you have) like the Black Jack or one from HF. BE SURE to keep oil or grease on the lead screw. The "nut" that the lead screw rides in does not appear to be very hard in some of the cheap lift tables. I had the rear of my RK off the ground doing a tire change, and on the way back down after the job the lift went PING and the bike dropped to the ground. Good thing it listed to the left and fell on the kick stand, else it would have been on top of me! Can't imagine how ugly it would have been had the "nut" let go while the tire was off.
:crook:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

PoorUB

Same thing happened to me. I was lowering my Limited when reinstalling the rear wheel and the screw started to squeak, then the whole works came crashing down when the screw broke. Luckily I had another jack I could use to lift the bike. Also lucky there was no damage to the bike.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!