April 24, 2024, 03:57:14 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Crane time savers with 9mm x 1mm pitch thread??

Started by 1340evo, March 20, 2021, 05:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Can anyone tell me if I have original parts here. I measure the thread as M9 x 1 pitch which is metric fine. Look on the Crane instructions it does not actualy give you the pitch just turns out as 3 that would equal about 0".118.
Does anyone know if these are copies or originals? Where do Crane make their parts, overseas or in the US?

Ohio HD

Do you have a US thread measure gauge? Look to see if 24 TPI fits it. In lieu of that try a 3/8x24 nut to see of it threads on the push rod.

Crane has made push rods in 24 TPI, 28 TPI and 32 TPI. 

Ohio HD

FYI, if they are an off brand metric push rod, 1.0mm = 25.4 TPI, or 0.039" depth per revolution.

Ohio HD

1340evo

Hi, no, don't have any TPI gauges at home (will have some at work) but the thread is 25.4 TPI so a 24 won't go in for sure. So maybe they are copies from a country who use metric fine? Obviously Japan use Metric fin, did they make pushrods?

Ohio HD

They may very well be metric. I've just that an M9x1.0 thread is really an odd duck size. Regardless of where they're made, they have the ability to use US threading for their products. If they came out of the motor, reuse them. However they look as if they've been sitting around somewhere for a while. The pics make them look as though they're corroded.   

Don D

Well the metric conversion is 25.4 and therefore one turn will yield .039" extension

1340evo

yes, a bit of surface rust on the top pic, cleaned up in the middle.
I assume they used this thread as its quite close to the English size... but what the heck are they... just my luck to re-use them and one will bend holding a valve open or something !...
Not sure I can trust them now I've found that out??

Ohio HD

It's up to you, they're probably ok to use. Me, I'd probably replace them with something else. S&S units are probably easy for you to acquire, or if possible Smith Brothers. Smith Brothers are my go to push rods.

https://www.pushrods.net/product-page/harley-evo-fast-install-kit

Burnout

You don't bother to mention what cam or if you have heavy springs.

They will likely be fine, unless you have some gonzo cam that beats the snot out of them.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

1340evo

No, nothing much cam wise EV27 so the std rods would do the job, just wanted some I could remove without taking the top off if I needed to be in there...
Still not sure what they are but I do know they have done about 8K miles....

1340evo

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 21, 2021, 06:29:34 AM
It's up to you, they're probably ok to use. Me, I'd probably replace them with something else. S&S units are probably easy for you to acquire, or if possible Smith Brothers. Smith Brothers are my go to push rods.

https://www.pushrods.net/product-page/harley-evo-fast-install-kit

Smiths ones do look kind of nice... But as you say S&S quickies are probably easier to get in the UK.

May put my stds back in and if I do need to get in there, thats the time to replace with something ealse...

kd

If you prefer to try the Smith Bros pushrods, give them a call.  They provide excellent service around the world.  They may even have someone in your neighborhood using theirs but rebranded like they do for Fuel Moto, Dan Baisley etc..
KD

hbkeith

If i didnt NEED to use a adjustable pushrod , i wouldnt

1340evo

Quote from: hbkeith on March 21, 2021, 01:10:45 PM
If i didnt NEED to use a adjustable pushrod , i wouldnt

Then I won't... and if I do need to get in for what ever reason, I'll sort it then.  :up: