April 17, 2024, 07:18:43 PM

News:

Compensation Sprocket Noise??

Started by SanB2013, March 20, 2021, 08:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SanB2013

Had a nice 55* day today here in Michigan and took the 76" out for a quick 5 mile spin.  When I took off from a stop one time I heard a rumbling/slipping sound.  This only happened once and otherwise the bike ran fine.  Could this be the compensation sprocket?  Is it worth pulling the primary cover and checking?  I did kinda load it down during takeoff without feathering the clutch. 

Thanks, Steve
1976 FXE

Ohio HD

You probably heard clutch noise. Engaging it fast under power they tend to make a little noise. There may also have been oil on the clutch plates from the transmission, dribbled out of the clutch hub nut seal over winter storage. 

76shuvlinoff

Gonna be a even warmer today in MI, no reason to not get back out on it.   If you can't repeat the problem I don't think I'd be too concerned.  I once had my clutch plates stick together after a winter storage and  got a real surprise when I stomped it into 1st. Glad I was on grass.  :teeth:

If you still have the stock primary cover you should be able to inspect/adjust chain tension through the inspection cover.

Enjoy!
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

SanB2013

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 20, 2021, 08:41:37 PM
You probably heard clutch noise. Engaging it fast under power they tend to make a little noise. There may also have been oil on the clutch plates from the transmission, dribbled out of the clutch hub nut seal over winter storage.

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering about clutch also but was worried about the sprocket.  Also I have loosened the clutch hub springs  about 1 turn to try to make the clutch pull easier.  I'll run it a for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks Steve
1976 FXE

SanB2013

It sure was a nice day today but I wasn't able to take the bike out.  I had some other things going on that took me away.  Oh well the weather is getting better every day now.  Yes I still have the stock cover.

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on March 21, 2021, 04:15:08 AM
Gonna be a even warmer today in MI, no reason to not get back out on it.   If you can't repeat the problem I don't think I'd be too concerned.  I once had my clutch plates stick together after a winter storage and  got a real surprise when I stomped it into 1st. Glad I was on grass.  :teeth:

If you still have the stock primary cover you should be able to inspect/adjust chain tension through the inspection cover.

Enjoy!
1976 FXE