April 16, 2024, 04:41:46 PM

News:

S&S Super E Idle Tuning Issue

Started by Winston Wolf, March 22, 2021, 06:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winston Wolf

I wanted to try a Super E on one of my Shovelheads.  I put one on that was from a well running bike.  I have an issue I can't seem to escape, and I'm wondering if there is something I may be missing.

When the engine is idling at a low speed, it will idle fine for a period of time, and then just die.  Could be 10 seconds, could be 30.  It does not seem to matter if I adjust the idle mixture on the rich or lean side of correct, it still does the same thing.  When I have a Mikuni HSR on the bike, it idles mint, and will stay running "potatoing" away forever. 

This is the second super E I have tried on this bike; when I rebuilt the engine years ago I put a brand new one on and could never get it to idle right without dying either.  I just gave up (since I hated Super E carbs anyways) and ran an HSR for years, and the bike has always run great.

Are their any tricks I can do to the idle circuit on the Super to help make it work better?  Could it be the stock 1981 cam I am running with the different exhaust and intake timing that just doesn't play well with the tractor carb?  Am I just f'd and need to keep the idle speed up higher than I would prefer?

I also changed from points to electronic ignition to eliminate that possibility, and it acts the same.  If it's the cam, I'd gladly just change it out.  There are no intake leaks. 

RTMike

What size intermediate jet does it have in it?Maybe try one larger,does it make any difference if the air cleaner is on or off if it has a 29.5 go to a 31 Jet