March 28, 2024, 10:15:24 AM

News:

2011 ultra with power vision

Started by Nick9900, March 23, 2021, 10:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick9900

I have a 2011 ultra with S&S mr103 cams, and de catted head pipe aftermarket mufflers, had the dealer do a dyno tune. out riding noticed i have a ping around 2k with a load. Is it im just lugging it with the cams or is the timing just off with the tune. Running 91-93 octane depending on the station im at.

Hossamania

At what speed and gear are you noticing the ping? Is it while accelerating through the year, or at steady state cruising, holding a steady speed?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Nick9900

3rd and up, notice around 2k haven't ran any lower. had decent hill in 4th ping at 2500-2800

Hossamania

It may need a tweek on the tune. 2000 rpm is pretty low for cruising though, the sweeter spot is about 2400 to2700 rpm in general, up to 3000, depending on load, wind, speed. Accelerating up a hill, especially loaded, would most likely require downshifting, even at 2700. But if accelerating gently, it can work. Putting a load on the motor at 2000 rpms cruising is not ideal, and really too low rpm.
Try running higher rpms and see if the pinging mostly stops. Do not lug the motor, nothing in the drivetrain is happy doing that.

Nick9900

Will do, i was weak on it today. But the roads were wet with fresh rain so i was being probably overly cautious. Don't like wet and dark for my roads.

Hossamania

March 23, 2021, 11:35:31 AM #5 Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 11:52:13 AM by Hossamania
It's about gentle throttle control in rain, that's for sure! But, don't short shift, don't run 5th gear below 55 mph, generally. Don't lug the motor. Accelerating from 2000 rpms in 3rd gear is lugging, in my book.

Hossamania

Was it Dyno tuned, or just a flash tune, or auto tuned on the street?

Nick9900

Hossamania

If it continues to ping, take it back to get the tune dialed in.

Hossamania

I ran my '12 today, stage ll 103" motor with a flash tune using Power Vision, paying attention to rpms and speed. At 30 mph in 3rd gear, it is turning 2000 rpms, so normal cruising rpms in that gear. I didn't realize the rpms were so low at that normal cruising speed. It accelerated smartly with no pinging, same in 4th gear at close to 40 mph. So if yours is pinging at those mph and rpms, it may need a tweak on the tune, or have some vacuum leak going on.

Nick9900

So I've taken it back.  They changed nothing said bad gas. I've ran another 800 miles.  Been running amsoil octane booster with every tank. Pump gas 91 plus booster. Still 3k slightly rolling throttle through curves and get the ping. Ping will stop if I roll hard throttle. Which makes me think it needs advanced. But I'm no expert on this.  But if I can make it not ping by rolling half or more throttle. It would be advance for that wouldn't it?

Don D

When the going gets tough the tough go shopping, find another shop to tune it. You are very far off. Octane boost should not be needed. The engine is low compression.

Hossamania

May 02, 2021, 07:29:43 AM #12 Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 07:44:09 AM by Hossamania
Nothing to add, other than, which spark plugs are you using?
Still sounds like your tune is off.

kd

Quote from: Hossamania on May 02, 2021, 07:29:43 AM
Nothing to add, other than, which spark plugs are you using?
Still sounds like your tune is off.

...... and wires?
KD

Jamie Long

Quote from: Nick9900 on May 02, 2021, 06:08:11 AM
So I've taken it back.  They changed nothing said bad gas. I've ran another 800 miles.  Been running amsoil octane booster with every tank. Pump gas 91 plus booster. Still 3k slightly rolling throttle through curves and get the ping. Ping will stop if I roll hard throttle. Which makes me think it needs advanced. But I'm no expert on this.  But if I can make it not ping by rolling half or more throttle. It would be advance for that wouldn't it?

This is a straight forward fix, unfortunately your tuning shop is not looking after you. I'll offer up my assistance on this one; send me a couple 20+ minute data logs of mixed riding, a copy of your Power Vision tune, along with a description of your bike, mods, and what its doing to jamie@fuelmotousa.com and I'll get you sorted.

Nick9900

Jamie thank you.  I'll get some miles and contact you

Nick9900

A update and end to the saga of the ping. Jamie cured it nothing flat. Said i was around 13 degrees out on timing.  :emoGroan: I can honestly say I'm happy with it now that i have used his corrected map. Interesting part to me is the not only is the ping gone. But there was engine noise i really didn't notice until after the tune is now gone. I'm guessing the extra noise was due to the timing. Bike pulls great, no issues at all. Will be the last time i let the shop wrench on my bikes. Thank you again Jamie

Hossamania

Coyote

Thanks for the follow-up.  You didn't buy anything from him and helped you fix the problem.  I'm not surprised.   :up:

Nick9900

:agree: I am in debt to him. I will be doing more work and will make a point to buy through him