April 18, 2024, 01:08:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

HD 131 Cam swap

Started by Pan1, March 24, 2021, 08:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pan1

Is there a slightly better cam choice than the one supplied in the SE 131 kit that will still work with the SE tuner and auto tune. Just looking for a way to pick up a few ponies and retail the HD tuner and hopefully retain the warranty. In my old v-8 car days they called them cheater cams because they were almost stock with slightly more overlap and possibly valve open and closing. They were so close stock that it was hard to detect the cam change in motor tear down.

Don D

Yes and no. Change cam and get more power, yes. Retain the drivetrain warranty no. A retune from the factory tune would void the warranty from my understanding and that would be required with a nonspec cam. Dealer techs will chime in and clarify.

tomcat64

Quote from: HD Street Performance on March 25, 2021, 06:00:46 AM
Yes and no. Change cam and get more power, yes. Retain the drivetrain warranty no. A retune from the factory tune would void the warranty from my understanding and that would be required with a nonspec cam. Dealer techs will chime in and clarify.

yup,,been there done that,, but if you don't care about the warranty, you can get pretty amazing numbers out of the 131, with the right cam, tune and pipes!

Pirsch Fire Wagon

There are dealers in TN and PA that will do the work and still honor the remaining Factory Warranty. There are probably others as well. They just pay the bill to the Dealer doing repairs.
Tom

Don D

There have always been the good guys dealers that do that. Good to hear there are still some left.

ziggy24

Quote from: HD Street Performance on April 11, 2021, 07:58:05 AM
There have always been the good guys dealers that do that. Good to hear there are still some left.

If you use any tuner other than a Harley tuner, the minute any dealer hooks the bike up to their computer, it will void the power train warranty. If said dealer wants to pay out of pocket for repairs , than good. But if you are traveling, you will be Sh#t out of luck. But if you don't care, then it's moot point.

Buglet

If you have to worry about your Harley breaking down on the road after you had work done to it I would look for a different mechanic or get a different bike. Yes I know stuff happens.

Hillside Motorcycle

The delivery and power of these M8's once you really step them up, can peel 2nd gear off the mainshaft, destroy comp sprockets also.
Steadily seeing those items failing.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

HogMike

Quote from: Pan1 on March 24, 2021, 08:23:36 PM
Is there a slightly better cam choice than the one supplied in the SE 131 kit that will still work with the SE tuner and auto tune. Just looking for a way to pick up a few ponies and retail the HD tuner and hopefully retain the warranty. In my old v-8 car days they called them cheater cams because they were almost stock with slightly more overlap and possibly valve open and closing. They were so close stock that it was hard to detect the cam change in motor tear down.

The 131 kit works well and you keep your warranty.
What model bike?
My 900lb touring barge is making more power than the H-D kit, but it's "passing power" which was my goal.
Didn't get the extended warranty.
I also have the assorted parts to handle the power increase and it works well in this touring bike, loaded down.
Could not be happier with the outcome and great tune!
A lot depends on how you intend to use this bike, stoplight drag bike? Long distance cruising? Bar bike and dyno bragging rights?
IMHO if you don't abuse the power on tap, the rest of the drive train will last. My other bike (street glide) with the S&S and Baker trans will take a lot more abuse and has held up for years, except I really need a clutch update! LOL
:potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal