March 28, 2024, 01:29:10 PM

News:

1995, need a second key made

Started by 1982fxr, March 25, 2021, 01:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1982fxr

1995 dyna I just bought.  Got one factory key and want a back up.  What's the way to go about that?  Order it, go to a deer dealership in person, locksmith?

Thanks

twincamzz

March 25, 2021, 02:29:13 PM #1 Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 02:55:21 PM by twincamzz
If it is simply a flat type key you can probably get one made at your local Napa store. If it is the barrel type key then you will need to go see a dealer for that.
not all who wander are lost...

Fugawee

March 25, 2021, 02:39:39 PM #2 Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 02:45:05 PM by Fugawee
I believe You may have a Barrel type key if stock, at least I did...unless the ignition may have been changed for some reason.  I have had those made at a good locksmith.  I have had many types of HD keys made by them.  A  Dealer will probably be able to get You whatever You need as well.  Personally, I would try a locksmith first.

1982fxr

Yes it's a barrel key that says Harley on it.  I believe it's an original key to the bike, also fits the fork lock.

kd

If it has the number stamped on it the dealer can supply a copy.  Sometimes the number was on a tag with the kets too.
KD

Billy

Slip the black plastic cover off of the key to reveal the key number.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Sinker

2 years ago I bought a 1997 Wide Glide and it only had 1 key.  I just called the dealer with the Vin number and they ordered me a set.

kd

Quote from: Sinker on March 25, 2021, 07:28:52 PM
2 years ago I bought a 1997 Wide Glide and it only had 1 key.  I just called the dealer with the Vin number and they ordered me a set.

That would be an easy way to steal a motorcycle.
KD

Breeze

Barrel keys are nothing special for a locksmith. They are less than $10 in my area.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Deye76

Got one from the dealer for my 1992 FXR a not long ago. Had to show a registration, just providing a VIN wouldn't cut it.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

HogMike

Local locksmith just down the street makes them for me.
BMW, Honda, H-D, No problem. Good prices. Never had to go to the dealer.
He cut a barrel key from  my fob on my 2019 cvo just as a spare.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Fugawee

Providing just a VIN #, and getting a key, or two; isn't gonna' work here where I am.  It might if You bought from them, and are in the system.  If not, they will be wanting more proof other than just the VIN.
When I was in the Service in San Diego in the early/mid 70's...there were these two Service Guys that were big into Suzuki 650's, or 750's.  They would race them out at the Stadium where the Padres played on certain Sundays.  They would scope out the Bike parking lots for the Suzuki's.  They would find one, get the VIN, and go to the Suzuki Dealer and get a key, or two.  Then of course...steal the Bike.  They got nailed by the Base PD, and the NIS (Naval Investigation Service).  They had stolen 5-6 Bikes before they got caught.  They got what was coming to them.  Two years in the local Brig, then off to Leavenworth for X number of years.  Could still be there as far as I know.  I hope they are.  Not to mention...they had to make financial restitution for the Bikes, which may have taken awhile on $105 bucks every two weeks.  I could never understand how they could keep going back to the Dealer about once a month, and getting keys.  Who knows?  Maybe the Guy at the Dealer was in on it as well.  Regardless...Scumbags.

tdrglide

Quote from: Deye76 on March 26, 2021, 04:45:33 AM
Got one from the dealer for my 1992 FXR a not long ago. Had to show a registration, just providing a VIN wouldn't cut it.
Me also when I lost my only key while on a ride. Had to hot wire to get home. Took a week or so to get new keys.

Thunder76

Hossamania

Quote from: Thunder76 on November 25, 2021, 10:12:41 AMTake vin# to dealer he will order

See post #11, you may need proof of ownership as well.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Samc

Locksmith, $6.no big deal. Used to be a Bic pen with the insert removed would work, too; anybody else remember that? I used to win bets with that trick.