Tour Pack electrical connections for detachable kit

Started by tomboyjr, March 29, 2021, 05:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomboyjr

When I had my '10 Ultra, I had the tourpack on the detachable hardware and all I did with the wires was unplug them at the speakers and lights, and coil them under the seat.

With the RGU, it has more lights on it, and they dont all have a way to unplug them in the pack. I'd like to just cut that entire set of wires under the seat, and splice in some type of plug-in connectors. Not sure of what type to use. Hoping to get some suggestions here.

On the old bike, I'd only use the tour pack maybe once or twice a year for a trip. Will probably be the same for this one. I have had the kit for over a year now, just getting around to installing it. And I have a passenger backrest for taking the OL for rides. Just looking for a simpler way to get the lights and speakers working for trips.

Fugawee

Not sure what year Your Bike is, but a Friend of mine just did the same thing back in the Fall.  2016 FLT with detachable Tour-Pak with lights, and rear speakers.  There is a company in North Carolina called Custom Dynamics.  He searched their website, and found what He was looking for.  He needed a harness just for lighting, and an additional harness for the speakers.  At the end of the day, He shelled out about 80 bucks.  Both plug right in under the seat, by the rear fender.  No cutting/splicing involved.  I just spoke with Him and He suggests to search "Detachable Tour Pak Wiring Kit", on their website; and be year specific if You see something that You might like.
I know another Guy that just went to an auto parts store and bought a 6(?) pin trailer male/female wiring plug in kit as well.  His kit cost about 10-15 bucks.  His has lights only...no speakers, and is an earlier year model.  04'-05', something like that.
Someone else on here may have a better solution, or suggestion.

tomboyjr

OK some good info there. I'll have to go look at my wires again. Its a '12 RGU. The TP has running, brake and signal lights. Plus speakers. And a light in the back of the luggage rack that says 'HD'

Pete_Vit

March 29, 2021, 12:12:40 PM #3 Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 12:25:18 PM by Pete_Vit
I was looking last week for a video for my '10 Ultra and found this video / kit
https://youtu.be/PRK3smDqHmA
:embarrassed: :embarrassed: see your talking '12 RGU - never-mind :missed:

93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

tomboyjr

I got it all off this afternoon, kit is on, tourpack is bolted to the new mount(sitting on a box in the garage). It feels like a sport bike now-lol.
But the wires are coiled under the seat and stuffed behind the side cover. I wish the factory connectors were just under the seat instead of at the tour pack. But there must be 20 wires-lol. I think I'll check O'Reilleys tomorrow for waterproof connectors.

smoserx1

March 29, 2021, 05:29:51 PM #5 Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 05:42:57 PM by smoserx1
These would be my suggestion:

74108-98BK and
74118-98BK

Google these part numbers and include the word NAMZ in the search criteria.  I don't want to say too much more and violate a policy here recommending specific prodicts , but these are true blue Deutsch connectors, not knockoffs.  I used them to replace damaged engine sensor connectors on my bike.  The beauty here is these ship with solid barrel connectors that are identical to the ones Harley uses with one exception.  The crimps are ordinary open barrel crimps (medium setting) and this crimping tool can be found anywhere  cheap.  They  do not require that super expensive tool that uses the 4 dimple annular crimp (a multi size version of one of those can set you back  hundreds of $$).  An open barrel crimper can be had for 20-30 dollars.

Here is my practice crimp pic of the terminals (and note the actual housings will accept either type of crimp (open barrel or annular dimple)) just fine.
[attach=0,msg1381982]

fidel

tomboyjr

There are 5 thick sets of wires under my seat now. Guess I'll have to strip them down and count the wires in each. 2 are for the speakers, one for the headset(which I'll never use), and the rest tour pack lights.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

A wiring diagram is available on the SIP https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/vehicle/lookupForm.

Unpin, lengthen, and reinstall pins in an appropriate connector [AMP/Molex can't recall].

use Circuit Cavity Plug's for empty cavities.
Tom

tomboyjr

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Its like having a new bike. My only issue now is that I want a sleeker seat-lol. My Mustang touring seat looks out of place. Maybe a stock Street Glide or Roadglide seat for solo trips.