April 23, 2024, 08:46:22 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

I was helping out a buddy

Started by jmorton10, March 29, 2021, 02:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmorton10

One other thing: Hey Kirk, how much fun is that 57 tooth sprocket lol ??

I have been loving the 58 on mine, hole-shot gearing is such a blast to run & goes along really nice with the Grudgebox overdrive 6th gear.

~John 
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

kd

July 22, 2021, 07:57:38 AM #26 Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 10:21:43 AM by kd
Quote from: jmorton10 on July 22, 2021, 06:36:34 AM
One other thing: Hey Kirk, how much fun is that 57 tooth sprocket lol ??

I have been loving the 58 on mine, hole-shot gearing is such a blast to run & goes along really nice with the Grudgebox overdrive 6th gear.

~John 

John, It's like riding on a ball shot out of a slingshot if you hammer it in the first couple of gears or so. It will instantly jump a full bike length ahead of the guy next to me (or go sideways if it fails to hook up.  :hyst: ) when you nail it rolling.   Your right about the fit to the GrudgeBox all around and it's even better knowing you have a transmission that will take it hard through those first 3 fun gears. Like you, I have a reduced primary ratio too and my overall ratio is set at 3.15.  That to me is a great compromise because I often run long distances all day at "fairly" high speed.  On the Highway I am in the torque sweet spot and never have to shift to pass because roll on power is there.

added later:

Quote from: jmorton10 on July 22, 2021, 06:32:23 AM
Well I definitely learned something too. I must have had the wheels off of every bike I have owned 50 times & have never once had the chain slip off like that (& of course it had to happen when I am doing a freebie job for a friend lol).  It is certainly easier to put the chain back on correctly with the rear wheel off & I will definitely make darn sure it is on correctly before reinstalling any rear wheel from now on !!

I know one thing, just like Kirk I am super impressed with these new o-ring chains.....

~John

I think the fact that the O-ring chain maintains it's new status so long it doesn't lay on the transmission gear like an old beat regular chain it is easy to cause it to slip off as you thread it along. I was doing that as I cleaned mine before putting the wheel on.  When I was reinstalling mine I noticed how it held it's shape when I lifted it back into place with a long screwdriver.   
KD