May 02, 2024, 06:25:17 PM

News:

Final drive belt to chain conversion

Started by 96flhpi, November 12, 2008, 07:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappyfreebird

stock 79 fxs 23-48 fer lil ova 10 yr (same clutch n looks like new) had me 79 flh (had steeper 1st since baggar) ran 23-48 fer bout 5yrs still has that combo but the icemayun leaves it sit in garage...ifn yo do lotsa a stop n go n want most power kin git,,well then build a 93" er wahahaha ,,but in all normal stop go n great on hyway..ya kin tell she takes mo clutch werk ta git er movin ..but that combos been round ,well longer then me hows that

biggerjose

You know, you can install a 2.60 to 1 1st gear if it struggles in 1st. Have done the bushing to bearing conversion. You just have to find the right machinist...No problems. Andrews probably would rather U buy a 5 speed...Not really necessary...5th and 4th are both 1 to 1.
  Agreed, some pulleys don't fit the splines right...Just buy from the right people..There are "Some" people that make good fitting pulleys...Jose

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

hotham

Before I retired I was a mechanical engineer that designed drives all the time.  When the Gates Polychain was invented, it finally allowed a belt to replace a chain.  Belts were designed to operate at higher rpm and chains were used in slower, high torque drives.  Still in a chain drive running enclosed and in oil, like your primary, they are almost bulletproof.  An "O" ring chain is very good, but not as good as an enclosed chain.  Belts are clean running and when adjusted and aligned are very reliable.  The big problem is you can't fix a belt problem on the road as easy as a chain.  I am convinced that most primary belt drives are installed because they loook "cool", not because they had problems with their chain drives.  But, you spend your money and take your choice.  I am convinced that the Gates Polychain belt is the best.  I have designed Polychain drives for 1000 hp applications and they worked great.