March 28, 2024, 06:37:34 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

88 flstc sluggish and backfiring

Started by hogget, April 02, 2021, 01:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

These are the only style clear plugs that I found usable.

The long threads let you screw it in until it touches the flywheel. Then back it off 1/2 a turn. It's then close enough to act as a wiper for the oil on the flywheel giving a better view of the timing mark. I also used Teflon tape so it doesn't vibrate out or in when the motor is running at higher RPM to get the advanced mark.

Scotty

[attach=0]

Mine is similar to that one and cheap to buy in Australia as well

kd

This is one I've had since the late 60's.  It has shaped lenses like a magnifier on each end and magnifies clearly up to 1" away from the inside lens.  It picks up the timing line right from the edge of the hole as it comes into view.  First pic side view, 2nd standing on a thread size blade of grass and 3rd is about about 3/4" away.
KD

kd

KD

hogget

so, was happy with the ultima ignition  module and moved on to other projects. yesterday was time for annual service on the flstc and everything went smoothly until i checked the charging voltage - 12.5v bike off or bike running (i use a battery tender to keep battery topped up)  - pulled the reg/rec plug from the primary case and one of the wires was melted - just like the ecu, so not surprised it wasn't charging. alternator is putting out good ac volts, so have ordered a new reg/rec. last reg/rec was replaced 16 years ago (feels like just yesterday) so am wondering if thats normal? - have replaced the reg/rec 4 times in 33 years
any insights?
thanks
rory