March 28, 2024, 01:51:08 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

88 flstc sluggish and backfiring

Started by hogget, April 02, 2021, 01:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogget

after sitting neglected in the garage for about a year, i pulled the heritage out for a run yesterday - started fine, but i noticed it was backfiring on overrun and was very sluggish on acceleration - otherwise ran ok for a 120 mile ride
today i checked the soft inlet manifolds for cracks - none - and replaced the voes hose - it was a bit cracked and tested the voes - its fine - filled with new fuel - but no improvement, still sluggish and backfiring
sounds to me like an air leak on the inlet side for the backfiring, but not sure about the sluggishness
any ideas???
thx rory

Scotty

Pull the carb off and take it apart and clean all the jets and passages in the carb.
Sitting around for a year + the fuel has probably dried and blocked the tiny holes in the jets and passageways.
While you have it of if you have the means replace the manifold with a one piece and new seals.

Hossamania

A couple new spark plugs probably wouldn't hurt either.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

JW113

Yep, sounds like the textbook symptoms of gunk in the pilot jet circuit. As Scotty said, pull carb, clean everything. And don't forget those little holes in the bottom of the bore near the throttle plate (i.e. transfer ports).

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

RTMike

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on April 02, 2021, 08:02:59 AM
Yep, sounds like the textbook symptoms of gunk in the pilot jet circuit. As Scotty said, pull carb, clean everything. And don't forget those little holes in the bottom of the bore near the throttle plate (i.e. transfer ports).

-JW
had that happen before. blocked pilot jet after sitting and not draining the carb

hogget

thanks guys, will give that a go
should have said it has a screaming eagle carb on it - from new, but the same principle applies and it has a pilot jet, so i'll get to it

Burnout

Which Screaming Eagle carb?

Some of those carbs offered should never have been bolted onto a motor.....
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

hogget

checked the carb (keihin 40mm pumper - 33 years and 40k miles)- pilot was blocked - back together, but no difference
changed the plugs (6 years since last set), seems much better,but still backfiring in the pipes on overrun - crack the throttle a bit and it stops, so will check the exhaust flange gaskets
will fit a fuel filter
thanks for the suggestions

Hossamania

In-line fuel filters don't work well in general. Check the screen on the petcock. I have seen them swell and deteriorate over time.

guido4198

Another vote AGAINST inline fuel filters. I've seen them be the source of more problems than they solve. If your tank and petcock are in such bad condition that you need a fuel filter...you don't need a fuel filter, you need to pull the tank and petcock and solve THOSE problems.

JohnnyCashPan

As long as you're chasing crud in the fuel system replace all rubber fuel lines.  If it sat for a year with old fuel in it, they could be flaking off internally.and adding to the problem.
Old, slow and fat...

hogget

thanks for the feedback - will have another shot at it today taking into account the above, because its still not running right

hogget

so, carb apart again, jets and passages cleaned and blown thru, new fuel line, no filter
tanks are in perfect condition - must admit i was surprised
screen in fuel tap is fine, had some loose crud on it but no way would that amount have restricted flow
checked exhaust flange nuts - all tight and dont appear to be leaking
took it for a ride - no change - still sluggish and backfiring
i want to think its fuelling, but not sure what else to check
thanks again for your advice
rory

Scotty

Quote from: hogget on April 06, 2021, 07:28:10 PM
so, carb apart again, jets and passages cleaned and blown thru, new fuel line, no filter
tanks are in perfect condition - must admit i was surprised
screen in fuel tap is fine, had some loose crud on it but no way would that amount have restricted flow
checked exhaust flange nuts - all tight and dont appear to be leaking
took it for a ride - no change - still sluggish and backfiring
i want to think its fuelling, but not sure what else to check
thanks again for your advice
rory

It has all the signs of being fuel but perhaps pull the nosecone cover off and check the pickup is not leaking or burnt it could be on it's way out.

FSG

Quote from: Hossamania on April 02, 2021, 05:26:36 AM
A couple new spark plugs probably wouldn't hurt either.

:agree:  brother did a LOT of work on a friends Evo Heritage last year only to eventually find a new set of plugs cured the problem

hogget

thanks scotty, i was thinking it might be electrical/battery but didn't know about the pickup (have had probs with batteries on other elec ign bikes recently)
will check that as well as testing charging circuit and running voltage - battery 'seems' fine - heaps of grunt to start and registers 12.7v with ignition off
thanks again

Hossamania

Check the tank vent, gas cap for air flow.
Could the voes be acting up, not allowing ignition advance?

Scotty

Quote from: FSG on April 06, 2021, 11:32:19 PM
:agree:  brother did a LOT of work on a friends Evo Heritage last year only to eventually find a new set of plugs cured the problem

Not wrong and cheap to do as well.

JW113

Popping and backfiring on deceleration? A common culprit of that is old dry or cracked intake manifold O-rings, the ones that go around the manifold spigots and against the heads. Also, check your VOES (if you have one) to make sure the little diaphragm in there is not cracked. Need a Might-T-Vac or something similar to check properly.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

kd

.... and exhaust gaskets or muffler joints.
KD

hogget

while i'm at this, does anyone know where to get a new air cleaned for the screamin eagle carb - it has k&n F026A6 on it, but can't find that anywhere online (it too is 33 years old)

hogget

checked the pickup - looks ok to me, but i've never seen one before
have checked voes, new plugs, exhaust mounts to heads and and muffler are ok
haven't yet checked gas cap venting, manifold o rings or battery/charging - this will take another week because i'm doing the 100/100/100/100 ride (on the 100th day of the year, bike and rider >= 100 years old, 100 mile ride and at least 100mph) tomorrow and then out of town
thanks again for all your suggestions - i'm sure we'll get there in the end
rory

hogget

meant to attach this pic of the pickup
[attach=0]

Scotty

Looks like something melted in the pickup in the top left corner.