April 16, 2024, 06:21:32 AM

News:

Add modern electric start to '74 XLCH

Started by sharkoilfield, April 02, 2021, 12:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkoilfield

I see lotsa old threads about adding electric start to an XLCH; I also see late model Ironheads without right cases notched for huge starter. I'm sure a modern battery could be "origional" XLCH size too...can an electric starter be discreetly added without all the bulbous old XLH parts?

Burnout

Yes, there is an outfit making an adapter that uses a Nippon starter.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

bobrk1

I  had a  70 ,from  that  year  on they all have  starter hump. Starter goes where  the  oil tank  is ,maybe  you  can  make  a  tank to fit  over  the  starter ? 

JW113

Going from XLCH to electric is going to be messy, I think. You have to have the XLH style primary for the starter to bolt to. Check this out:

http://techcycle.com/ironhead-sportster-starter-67-80/

I have used these starters, had one on my chopper and now one sitting on the bench waiting to be installed on my bobber. The are the Nippon Denso starter, very compact. But meant to replace the stock Bendix starter. If you had no starter, I'm not sure what there is to bolt to. Good luck!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Burnout

JW linked the starter I was thinking of.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

I believe those Tech Cycle starters should bolt on to the XLCH case. Although the bigger problem may be a battery big enough to spin it. I bought one of those anti-gravity batteries, which is much smaller than the stock "car" sized battery they used back than, and it spins the start like nobody's business. So that may work, but they are indeed pricey. Also, you live in AK, I live in CA. The lithium ion type batteries do not work so great in cold weather, I'm told. And one last issue, I don't believe the clutch basket for an XLCH has a starter ring gear on it. Will need to take care of that little matter.

-JW

sharkoilfield

Thanks for the responses and leads. I've emailed the link re: discreet fitment of their starter. As far as battery; I had Li-ion years ago on my 103" FXDXT; as you said, it spins easy. In the cold I've turned lights on for a minute to "awaken" the battery but it never failed me. Pricey? Yes...but this is a worthy project in my mind...I like bikes that both function AND look good

sharkoilfield

Already received a reply from Tech Cycle; looks like it'll work with a few minor mods. And, a Li-Ion XLCH sized battery will have way more CCA then required. I just need a little more money in the Ironhead account...

JW113

Hey that sounds great, just one favor: Take lots of pics and document your conversion, along with all the "gotchas" and the final verdict when you're done. I'll bet somebody else might find that info very useful someday.

So the headlight trick with the Li-ion works, eh? I've heard that, never had to try it, but good to know. I was a little skeptical when I first heard that, but hey, if it works, it works.

cheers,
JW

saltcaveminer

What is the cost of this new type install?

xlfan

Is the diameter and toothcount for a pre -80 starter ring gear the same as for the post -81 starter ring gear?

saltcaveminer

Tooth count is different newer is 78 tooth.
I'm in the process of adding electric start to my 70 xlch.Overall the conversion will cost around $800.
This cost includes all Harley stock parts some preowned and some new with the exception of the xlh gearcase cover which I own.
This new conversion starter from Tech sounds promising but I would like to know how many other parts are needed.Post 70 sportsters would probably be better candidates due to the clutch cable relocation to the primary side.

JW113

As I recall, the Tech Cycle starter was something like $550? For me, it was a drop in. To convert an XLCH will be more, of course. They say their starter will work on 67-80 XLs, and needs a 62T ring gear. They also caution of possible interference with battery boxes and oil tanks.

http://techcycle.com/ironhead-sportster-starter-67-80/

I like this type starter in that it is small and light, compared to the "Ford Galaxy 500" stock starter. And I believe an Anti-Gravity battery will spin this starter, so you can keep the look of the XLCH without that mega battery used with XLH. IF that is important to you, anyway.

-JW

sharkoilfield

I think what I'm after is the discreet appearance of the starter on the '81 and later Ironheads. An XLCH sized lithium battery will work; just have to figure out the starter/solenoid/ring gear combo to avoid the old style notched sprocket cover...if it's possible and if it'll fit

JW113

Here is one of those Tech Cycle starters on my '80 chopper, and I indeed used a '81 cam cover and trans sprocket cover to get rid of the half moon cut out for the Bendix starter. Nice look, I'm trying to get the same for my '78. I have a XLCH sprocket cover, but finding the right cam cover is proving to be a bit difficult.

[attach=0]

-JW

sharkoilfield

Using goggle image search I found a 1974 XLCH that had the Tech starter added. The owner needed to clearance about 1/2" from the back of the sprocket cover and in the pictures it is indeed quite discreet; like the 1981 and later factory applications. The XLCH oil tank required a new bottom bracket fabbed and he used a lithium battery.  Looks like the way I'll go...just need to calculate how I'll get it up to Canada.  Freight/postage is appalling; I have a drop shipper in the US I usually use.  Getting into the riding season here now; it may be an "accumulate parts for next winter" project; I need to finish a few cosmetic items on the XLCH before I ride it this year.  Will also run the whole project past my local go-to HD techs; I have some unbelievable resources here for routine HD mechanical tasks

sharkoilfield

Quote from: JW113 on April 19, 2021, 08:52:17 AM
Here is one of those Tech Cycle starters on my '80 chopper, and I indeed used a '81 cam cover and trans sprocket cover to get rid of the half moon cut out for the Bendix starter. Nice look, I'm trying to get the same for my '78. I have a XLCH sprocket cover, but finding the right cam cover is proving to be a bit difficult.

[attach=0,msg1383711]

-JW

Very tidy looking; that's what I'm after... I've decided to go with the Accel electronic voltage regulator (stock looks) as the lithium battery manufacturers have both stated better voltage regulation will be required.  The last one available is on order from Canadian distributor.  Correct ring gears are easily available; next $ will be the starter itself.

JW113

Well, since you're in the mood to dicker up all the stock electrical stuff...

:SM:

Another little "upgrade" I did was to install one of those alternator conversions. It's about 1/4 the weight of that big honkin' generator, and puts out ample juice. I was on a quest to eliminate as much weight as possible, and starter, battery, & gene were low hanging fruit. My bobber now tips the scale at 495 lbs wet.

-JW

sharkoilfield

A <500lb bobber would be a very fun ride...
For now, I'm going to stick with generator as I also have a tested spare.
The electronic regulator will just exchange places with the original.
Not too many cosmetic changes; I think the XLCH's were one of the best looking motorcycles made...2 fenders and no other bodywork