April 18, 2024, 02:44:28 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fuel gauge for an 01 Ultra

Started by Rodman, April 03, 2021, 11:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodman

April 03, 2021, 11:05:10 AM Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 11:22:18 AM by Rodman
Just an FYI since there hasn't been any recent Bouncing Fuel Gauge posts.....
HD still sells a replacement Gauge with a newer part number.....and it actually looks identical!
Fuel sender is a diffferent story.....but a guy in NY is selling a retrofit unit cheaper that works with a wire splice.

The Dampening in the new gauge is superior to the original (When it did work) and it will somewhat hide a sending unit that is on it's way out....hinge/pin wear on the float arm is where mine was having intermittent contact problems with the resistance coil.
So with regard to the question.....is it the gauge or the sender?......check both and only do the job once!

My problem started with the fuel gauge looking like a vacuum gauge when I took off, with erratic movement when banking right.....and watching the guage move when the fuel pump primed was a real brain twister..it was parked out in the sun for several hours prior to the failure, and I guess that took care of what silicone was left in the gauge.

smoserx1

Is 75111-96C  the part number?  I am on my third fuel gauge, the first one started bouncing  and the second one fogged up so many times it just looked like crap...you could barely read through the permanently dirty lens.  The last one I picked up used off  eBay  for about 20 dollars.  It is still the first gauge to fog if I ride on a damp cool morning.  I am also on my 4th or 5th sending unit.  I get 40-50K miles out of them before they crap out.  This is pathetic.  I may try an aftermarket unit next time.  I have found one, but it is not cheaper (actually costs a little more that the OEM).

Rodman

ya, the 96C was the part number I got off Ronnie's part finder....
Stealer had a sermon on how it is improved, and I usually take what they say with a grain of salt.
Just wanted to post my personal opinion so far on what I got.
I do not know the current buffering method used, but I do know that the response is superior to the original.
I washed the bike after the install, and the glass did not fog like the other gauges.
The retrofit sender uses a smaller resin float, and the hinge assembly is better built.
I checked the scale of it before the install, and it is within a couple Ohms of the spec in the manual.
I always use 175 miles as a fuel up range since I ride the hills here with limited access to fuel, and the last three fill ups have been within 1/10th of a gallon of previous full ups with the original gauge and sender, so no bending the arm was needed to calibrate the sender to the tank Top/Bottom.
Hope this helps....