March 28, 2024, 04:43:27 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Switching my 96 to a take-out 103

Started by Nebraskarider1, April 04, 2021, 06:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraskarider1

My 09 Ultra is taking oil at 115,000 and I found a 103 taken out of a new bike for a 120R, forget the year but I think it's 2013 or 14. Any things I need to consider as far as interchangeability between 96 and 103 touring engines? I have the a newer comp with the side oiler. I have a powervision and will get a new base map from for the 103 from FM. I feel like I'm fortunate to find a documented new take out since most have been sold already. Just want to make sure there isn't some differences I'm not aware of before I buy this engine.

Ohio HD

If the comp is new in the box, make sure to use the glue on oil scoop that come with it. Otherwise you need to acquire one from HD. The 103 should have ACR's in the heads. You'll need a wiring harness from HD to hook them up to function. Also the base map for a 2009 most likely will not have the ACR's turned on, so just make sure to do that as well.

Nebraskarider1

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 04, 2021, 07:11:14 AM
If the comp is new in the box, make sure to use the glue on oil scoop that come with it. Otherwise you need to acquire one from HD. The 103 should have ACR's in the heads. You'll need a wiring harness from HD to hook them up to function. Also the base map for a 2009 most likely will not have the ACR's turned on, so just make sure to do that as well.

Thanks for the reply this is the kind of details I want to have covered.  The newer comp is already in there, has about 25,000 on it, if it doesn't show any indications of wear do you think I should replace it anyway? Haven't been following for awhile to know what the lifespan has been on the current version. Regarding the harness for the ACRs...will my 09 have the plugs for the ACR harness since 103 wasn't offered in my 09 Ultra?

Ohio HD

Quote from: Nebraskarider1 on April 04, 2021, 09:22:11 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on April 04, 2021, 07:11:14 AM

Thanks for the reply this is the kind of details I want to have covered.  The newer comp is already in there, has about 25,000 on it, if it doesn't show any indications of wear do you think I should replace it anyway? Haven't been following for awhile to know what the lifespan has been on the current version. Regarding the harness for the ACRs...will my 09 have the plugs for the ACR harness since 103 wasn't offered in my 09 Ultra?

You can reuse the compensator, the last revision holds up.

KiwiRob

You may be lucky, I believe some 96cid touring bike models after '09 had the ACR wiring fitted. - Rob

rigidthumper

My 2010 RG started life as a 96", and I had to add the ACR harness.  70623-08
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kd

I think Rob was wondering if the ACR harness was plug and play for his year because the 103 was not available in that model or year.  It's a given he will want to buy the short harness.  That's a way better option than the solenoid wiring trick.
KD

Ohio HD

The harness requires some changes at the fuse block. It isn't plug and play for a 2009. The harness is designed to add the ACR's to a bike that didn't have them as an option.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/217680?locale=en_US

Nebraskarider1

Appreciate the help, and any further input. I'm gonna have my local indy who was a dealer tech up until about 2 years ago do it for me, haven't spent much with him as I do most of my own stuff but I wanna give him this job because I appreciate the free help I get from him now and then so I'm just trying to cover all the bases so it's quick and easy for him and don't tie up shop space.

Nebraskarider1

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 04, 2021, 02:44:15 PM
The harness requires some changes at the fuse block. It isn't plug and play for a 2009. The harness is designed to add the ACR's to a bike that didn't have them as an option.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/217680?locale=en_US

Thanks, looks simple enough, my guy shouldn't have any trouble with that

Tireman

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 04, 2021, 02:44:15 PM

I'll be installing this harness this week On my BIL's 2009 Ultra. Mega Flo machined the heads for the ACRs  and cleaned up the heads for a
96/103 conversion.
1984 FLHS 80" 57/61  2009 SG Mega Flo 124"152/154
2011 TG Mega Flo 117" 116/127

PBSTN

You could go with a set of s&s easy start cams. Just saying.
2010 flhr. 2003 FLHRSEI2. 1986 SUZUKI GS1150E.

Nebraskarider1

Quote from: PBSTN on April 05, 2021, 07:00:45 PM
You could go with a set of s&s easy start cams. Just saying.

As much as I'd like to cam the 103 I think I'm leaving it stock, my 96" has never been opened up for anything in 116,000 miles. Figuring aftermarket cams with more aggressive ramps might shorten lifter life and really don't want to chance that because it probably wouldn't happen close to home.

The HO 103's (14-16) had a decent cam and run pretty sweet stage 1 with a good tune. If your 103 is pre 2014 you can find the "HO" cams pretty cheap or install the SE255 (though it may have slightly steeper ramps).

PoorUB

I wouldn't take the time to install a set of stock cams for a Rushmore. I swapped mine out in my 2016 Limited to Cycle Rama 570-2. I don't know why someone would install a set of EPA cams when there are better choices for $300.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

calif phil

I have a set of HO 103 cams that I just removed from a 9000 mile 2016.   You can have them if you want them and they are worth the time to replace what you have now. 

Nebraskarider1

Quote from: calif phil on April 07, 2021, 05:53:24 AM
I have a set of HO 103 cams that I just removed from a 9000 mile 2016.   You can have them if you want them and they are worth the time to replace what you have now.

Sounds like a good deal to me and I could have him put the better cam bearings in there while it's opened up.

Nebraskarider1

Since the take out engine will have a different VIN# stamped on it is that ever an issue or not?

rigidthumper

Some cops at Sturgis may question that if you're drawing their attention, but I wouldn't worry about it. My buddy has been running my spare motor in his bike for 3 years without issue. If you carry a notarized bill of sale from the original owner, or a receipt from the shop, that would cover you.

PoorUB

Does the VIM and engine serial number match on the later models? I thought HD went away with that about 20 years ago.

Nebraska, is the engine serial number on your title and registration? Some states put it on the title, some don't . If yours does, you definitely need to get it changed. Minimally, keep a receipt for the engine wit the motorcycle at all times!

Nebraskarider1

I remember it being very obvious on my Evo, doesn't stand out on this one, after a quick glance I will have to look harder I guess because I don't see it yet

PoorUB

Some of the engine numbers might match the VIN, but not the complete VIN in not on the engine.

rigidthumper

Engines use a shortened (10 digit) version of the VIN, but they do match.
On my Heritage, the vin was 1HD1BJL14GY017967, and the engine number was BJLG017967.

Nebraskarider1

Quote from: Nebraskarider1 on April 09, 2021, 04:10:15 PM
I remember it being very obvious on my Evo, doesn't stand out on this one, after a quick glance I will have to look harder I guess because I don't see it yet

I looked on the wrong side, right there on the left

doctorevil

In California we are required to obtain a CHP vin verification. Which is a visual inspection andsubmit copy of original title and receipt of purchase from owner to change engine number on title and registration card with dmv.