April 16, 2024, 03:11:03 PM

News:

Starter Solenoid pushbutton

Started by fleetmechanic, April 06, 2021, 05:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetmechanic

1996 FLHTP with about 41,000 miles on it.  Even with a new battery the starter solenoid just clicks at intermittent times.  Saw that the copper washer inside was kind of burned, cleaned and filed, no change. Copper contacts were fine.  Replaced plunger and copper washer assembly and return spring, still no change.  I see that there are many of the end covers with a push button on ebay.
Are these needed because the solenoid switch body gets weak or because of tired starter button wiring or something else?

Tynker

Yes it is used for that purpose, however it is also handy for just turning the engine over with out the ign. switch on. It is also handy when the starter switch, relay, or any wiring,may be faulty,as long as the ign.can be turned on, it will start the engine. It is great to have, and I have installed many,with NO bad reviews.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

smoserx1

I have the button but I wrestled with the issue you describe for years.  Check the voltage at the green solenoid wire, mine was below 11V.  The starter relay connects the ACC wire from the IGN switch to the solenoid when the starter button is pushed.  I disabled the incoming ACC wire and replaced it with a fused wire directly from the battery.  I use a 10 amp fuse in this added circuit.  This insures the solenoid gets nearly full battery voltage whenever the relay activates.  I made this modification about 100000 miles ago and it has not failed once time since.  And before I did it to my bike I did something similar to a car years before that with intermittent starting problems...worked there too.

Dan89flstc

I clean the electrical connections on the starter circuit once a year.

I have never had an issue with a starter solenoid or a relay and I have had the same starter on the bike since new (`89).

I did replace the relay last year, just because it was over 30 years old, it was still working fine.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

PoorUB

Does the plunger move smoothly?

Years ago I helped a friend push start his Harley because the started would just click. We were headed to the same place and where we were going had tools so after the engine cooled off I helped him pull the solenoid apart. We wiped down the plunger, and blew out he housing. Maybe didn't need it but we put a shot of silicone lube on the plunger and inside the housing, wiping out the excess. Put it back together and it worked fine. Inside the solenoid had a bunch of particulate. Pretty sure it was flashed off copper from the contacts.

I would make sure the plunger moves freely. Also you should be able to bench test it.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

SixShooter14

I've read many folks blame the 20+yr old wiring, switches, and relays for not consistently supplying the current to drive the solenoid.

Right or wrong? IDK.... but I too wrestled with the intermittent solenoid clicks on a '92 FXSTC. After a couple times of fiddling with it I installed the button and never had another fail to start. Should my current EVO start showing the signs, it'll get the button as well.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

calif phil

They are pretty handy when needed, I prefer the USA made versions from Custom Cycle Engineering or Terry Components. 

kd

I have one on my RGU.  To date, I have only pushed the button to check it.  As far as I'm concerned I'll be happy if it stays that way too.   :teeth:  I have needed, or been with someone that the manual button would have saved a lot of trouble.  Kept a trip happy or got someone home.
KD

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Do a voltage drop test to determine if there is a problem. Very easy to refurbish that with new brushes. Cleanliness is very important before proceeding with covering it up with the cap.

I have one on my 00 and have used it when the Relay went out and when my battery was low. I don't think they're used as a "replacement way to start from wear". Thos Denso Starters are VERY dependable.
Tom

cheech

April 07, 2021, 07:16:30 AM #9 Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 07:28:34 AM by cheech
I thought those were developed for the chopper scene to eliminate wiring and also hard to start big engines that kicked back.
I see the advantage of them as a backup for issues as everyone describes on a "normal" bike.
IMHO, On the other hand I see it as trying to circumvent the root issue on a 25 year old bike that's probably been starting fine for the last 24 years as it was designed.

How's battery cables?
Starter even as Pirsch said?
Solenoid wiring as mentioned already?