April 19, 2024, 01:08:38 PM

News:

road king wont start

Started by fidel, April 11, 2021, 08:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fidel

2000 road king after long winter try vto start rk after 4 days battery tender charge  first alarm fob dont signal after try put on and off alarm  no flasher signal  hit starter and just a clik  try to jump start still nothing but a clik when i shut ignition flasher flash 3 time left and 3 time right  ?????? need a new battery  i try change battery from fob still nothing

what next step

Hossamania

A new battery for the bike.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

It sounds like you have the early factory security system. They will kill a battery absolutely dead over a few months. Ask me how I know. If you have an actual "battery tender" that's all it does and has to be on the bike the whole time it sat over the winter. It isn't a battery charger, it's a maintainer. You may get the battery back up with a real charger but don't count on it.  You may also have a combination of a dead battery and bad cable connections.
KD

CndUltra88

Quote from: kd on April 11, 2021, 08:52:44 PM
It sounds like you have the early factory security system. They will kill a battery absolutely dead over a few months. Ask me how I know. If you have an actual "battery tender" that's all it does and has to be on the bike the whole time it sat over the winter. It isn't a battery charger, it's a maintainer. You may get the battery back up with a real charger but don't count on it. You may also have a combination of a dead battery and bad cable connections.
[/u]

Yup, ask me how I know too, a real battery charger and a good scrub of the connections will certainly save you some grief trouble shooting via the internet.
But, we here are a good group of guys to bounce ideas off of, just watch out for the shark nose guys they can be a bit funny... if not off ;)
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Pirsch Fire Wagon

The Battery may, or may not be recoverable using the Tender. The age, sulfations, and general health of the battery iand cable connections are factors which determine if it is recoverable with an appropriate charger. That's where i would start.
Tom

Rodman

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on April 12, 2021, 07:18:20 AM
The Battery may, or may not be recoverable using the Tender. The age, sulfations, and general health of the battery iand cable connections are factors which determine if it is recoverable with an appropriate charger. That's where i would start.

And after you charge it let it set overnite and see if it keeps at least 12.6 volts.
One other thing if battery is good...check the starter relay copper ring that connects the motor to the battery.
But if I am reading this right, you say the turn signals alternately flash...only time the TSSM does this is when its armed and has been activated.....and when it goes into storage mode the key on the speedo won't flash to tell you it is. You say you also hear a click.....the starter won't click if it's activated....and the lights would alternately flash at ignition ON before you hit the starter.

fbn ent

Quote from: fidel on April 11, 2021, 08:07:39 PM
2000 road king after long winter try vto start rk after 4 days battery tender charge  first alarm fob dont signal after try put on and off alarm  no flasher signal  hit starter and just a clik  try to jump start still nothing but a clik when i shut ignition flasher flash 3 time left and 3 time right  ?????? need a new battery  i try change battery from fob still nothing

what next step

Are you sure you put the battery in the fob correctly? No, really!......it happens a lot.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

kd

Quote from: Rodman on April 12, 2021, 08:47:17 AM
Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on April 12, 2021, 07:18:20 AM

And after you charge it let it set overnite and see if it keeps at least 12.6 volts.
One other thing if battery is good...check the starter relay copper ring that connects the motor to the battery.
But if I am reading this right, you say the turn signals alternately flash...only time the TSSM does this is when its armed and has been activated.....and when it goes into storage mode the key on the speedo won't flash to tell you it is. You say you also hear a click.....the starter won't click if it's activated....and the lights would alternately flash at ignition ON before you hit the starter.

The 2000 vintage did not have the key emblem and used a hand held transmitter box with buttons to arm and disarm manually.  Activation would transmit to the box and let you know the alarm had been activated.  In my experience the lights flash 3 times in succession to let you know it is armed or disarmed.  An accessory siren could be added and that would chirp at the same time.
KD

Hossamania

Mine flash twice when armed, once when disarmed.
If the starter is clicking, but no turnover, more likely a dead bike battery, not fob battery, as mentioned. A bad battery will often not take a jump. Put a meter on it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.