April 24, 2024, 05:44:09 PM

News:

Transmission fitment...

Started by fbn ent, April 12, 2021, 06:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

Is it possible to marry an '02 FLHT transmission to an '01 Touring? I just learned the cases are different and that parts (shifter drum) for the '01 are not available from HD. Told Buddy that there have to be LOTS of take outs around somewhere...
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

kd

I have a hard time believing it's not interchangeable as a unit.  Both motorcycles (including EG, Ultra, RK)  are virtually identical except for the bolt on chassis stuff that makes them different models. 
KD

fbn ent

It doesn't look like it although I thought so too it is kind of confusing the way the numbers change around from '99 to '02.

kd

April 12, 2021, 07:18:59 PM #3 Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 07:23:23 PM by kd
Maybe it's the size of the swingarm pivot shaft.  IIRC there was some talk on here about boring the transmission case for the later rear fork and axle - bearings etc.  Did the 2001 have timkin wheel brgs and the smaller axle?
KD

fbn ent

That is probably part of it...no, '02 has 1" axles and sealed bearings. The '02 is the first one with the upgraded swing arm... :idea:

smoserx1

Yes the housing numbers are different.  The difference may be in the diameter of the hole where the swing arm pivot axle goes through.  If one is too big you may be able to have a sleeve made or drill one larger that is too small (if there is sufficient material), but I bet that is the difference.  The engine interface should be the same.

kd

Quote from: fbn ent on April 12, 2021, 07:22:27 PM
That is probably part of it...no, '02 has 1" axles and sealed bearings. The '02 is the first one with the upgraded swing arm... :idea:

I fixed it.  I meant to say 2001.  If the 02 was the first 1" axle and sealed bearings then the 01 is timkins and 3/4" axle.  Along with the larger axle I believe the pivot shaft changed.  It'll probably show up on Ronnies as timkins in 99,00,and 01 and a smaller pivot shaft. then 02 and 03 will be sealed brgs and a different pivot shaft.  IIRC boring the ears on the trans also trued them up if there was any wallering in the bores.  A win, win, win.
KD

Hossamania

Installing an '02 swingarm on '01 touring bikes was a common upgrade, as the '01 had a tendency to crack. It involved reboring the transmission mounts.
Some cracks worse than others...

[attach=0]
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

fbn ent

Yeah, I've done that mod before. That has to be the difference in the early cases then. It's in a friend's triked bike. I don't know much but I really don't know about trikes and he is 3 1/2 hours away....Back to Ronnies for the basics. Thanks!

fbn ent

April 12, 2021, 08:22:57 PM #9 Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 08:46:49 PM by fbn ent
So, assuming the rear end of the trike is mounted as a swing arm is, he can choose whether to sleeve an '02 tranny case or change out the pivot shaft to an '02? Should bolt right up to the engine case and primary? Wish I was closer...

kd

Assuming???  Does it ever use the pivot or have its own suspension?
KD

capn

You can get an adapter to fit the later 02 swing arm to the earlier tranny.No drilling required.

fbn ent

Quote from: kd on April 12, 2021, 09:08:26 PM
Assuming???  Does it ever use the pivot or have its own suspension?

:nix:  I just don't know.....He will have to pull it and when he does he can let me know. Seems like nobody has room in their shop...

JohnCA58

April 13, 2021, 07:43:43 AM #13 Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:04:01 AM by JohnCA58
the inner primary bolts are in different location on the 99-01 transmission,  I wanted to run a chrome inner on my 00 touring and none were ever available,  I used aluminum bolts to fill in the original holes and used the 02-06 inner primary mounted to use transfer punch and tapped new holes, also drilled small hole on the fill bolt and roll pin them.  works like a charm.

FBN ENT   I would just upgrade to 02-06 trans housing but need to upgrade the swing arm also, the 99-01 pivot shaft is only 5/8, I went with 08 swing arm and Sta-Bo kit.
YOLO

joes124

fbn ent

Quote from: JohnCA58 on April 13, 2021, 07:43:43 AM
the inner primary bolts are in different location on the 9-01 transmission,  I wanted to run a chrome inner on my 00 touring and none were ever available,  I used aluminum bolts to fill in the original holes and used the 02-06 inner primary mounted to use transfer punch and tapped new holes, also drilled small hole on the fill bolt and roll pin them.  works like a charm.

FBN ENT   I would just upgrade to 02-06 trans housing but need to upgrade the swing arm also, the 88-01 pivot shaft is only 5/8, I went with 08 swing arm and Sta-Bo kit.

Nice work on the mod for sure. I have to give him a call and explain his option as I understand them. He bought this trike for his wife and has put $3500 (Canadian) in it for cam housing upgrades and now this...he is NOT a happy camper...

JohnCA58

Ouch on the cam work,  he won't need a swing arm if he is working with a trike.  I would look for shift drum if that is what needed,  I had plenty of parts for that year, threw them all way when I moved couple years ago.  gladly have sent it your way.  I upgraded to Baker 6 trans.   
YOLO

fbn ent

Yeah, it needs a shift drum and related stuff. I se V-Twin has them....just Chinese junque?

kd

April 13, 2021, 12:24:40 PM #18 Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 12:31:49 PM by kd
There has been a few discussions on the shift drum here.  I think Turbo Prop was a key contributor on fixes.   I also RRM er members saying they were very pleased with the Baker conversion.  Apparently it resolves shifting roughness and finding neutral.  I haven't looked it up but I imagine it's worth considering.  I know I would be interested in a do it once solution.

I just checked and I think this is what you are looking for.
KD

fbn ent

It's all moot now...LOL! He found a take off from a wreck with low miles. He's  :teeth:

fbn ent

Quote from: kd on April 13, 2021, 12:24:40 PM
There has been a few discussions on the shift drum here.  I think Turbo Prop was a key contributor on fixes.   I also RRM er members saying they were very pleased with the Baker conversion.  Apparently it resolves shifting roughness and finding neutral.  I haven't looked it up but I imagine it's worth considering.  I know I would be interested in a do it once solution.

I just checked and I think this is what you are looking for.

That is where he was going until finding the tranny. Hope it all works out....

kd

I just did a simple search "shift drum".  A bunch of stuff was there Including updating with a later model drum.  There might be enough there to help you get your head around the best options.
KD

fbn ent

April 13, 2021, 01:21:00 PM #22 Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:32:02 PM by fbn ent
 :up:  Yeah, I've never done much with transmissions.... :nix:

fbn ent

I was happily surprised to find Fort Nine carries Baker stuff though!

turboprop

Quote from: fbn ent on April 12, 2021, 06:52:06 PM
Is it possible to marry an '02 FLHT transmission to an '01 Touring? I just learned the cases are different and that parts (shifter drum) for the '01 are not available from HD. Told Buddy that there have to be LOTS of take outs around somewhere...

1. All touring transmissions from a given year group are the same. Road King, Shark Nose, Batwing, whatever. Same year = Same transmission.

2. There was a major change to the out cover bolt pattern that occurred in '01. An inner primary from any year FXR or bagger would bolt onto any touring trans up to '00. The '01 cases have one bolt hole for the out cover that has been moved.

3. The roller drum, pillow blocks, shift pawl and shift pawl bushing are interchangeable between any and all year groups of the five speed regardless of what guts are inside the case.

4. IME, the drum, pillow blocks and shift pawl (w/the required longer bushing) perform better than the stuff from Baker. My red/white FXR had a Baker drum and pawl in it but I swapped them out for late model five speed stuff. They shift the same, but I lock the positive stop at 1st and 5th that the oem stuff provides.

5. The Jims shift upgrade kit is relabeled oem stuff from late model five speeds.

6. The late model five speed drum, pillow blocks, and pawl are really available on ebay. The longer bushing can be sourced from Harley.

7. Early five speed cases had dowels to register one of the pillow blocks. Later model five speeds had dowels to register both pillow blocks. If the trans case is out of the chassis, machining the case for the two additional dowels is worth the effort.

Additional notes.

I build a bunch of five speed transmissions every year, mostly to go behind big blocks in FXRs, but its all the same. Many times a gears from a late model bike is used. In over thirty used gear sets, I have seen two main shafts that were straight.

Used gear sets get all new springs on the pillow block and pawl. They also get new thrust washers, snap rings and bearings.

The late model gears have finer teeth than the earlier models. Many of the transmissions I build will use close ratio gears from Andrews for first and second. Depending on the power of the engine, Andrews gears may be selected for third as well. I almost always use the fine tooth gears for 4th and 5th gears.

My transmissions get a spacer in between the two bearings inside the main shaft fifth gear to prevent them from walking into each other. 

Most of my transmissions get sent to Short Block Charlie for isotopic polishing and to Zippers to be back cut.

The pins on the shift drum get replaced with higher quality stuff source from McMaster Carr.

Many of the cases I build on are oem FXR units that qualify tube antiques. Most of which have had countless professionals hacking on them. It is a very rare case that does not need one or more threaded holes fixed. I load test every threaded hole and install time certs as required.

The right side case flange is almost always messed up. I always cover them with machinist dye and lap them. The ΒΌ-20 holes are almost always dimpled and there is almost always signs a professional used a screw driver to separate the trap door from the case. Lapping reveals and will correct most of the issues.

I am sure everyone on this forum has a much better way to to build a transmission.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

fbn ent

I am sure everyone on this forum has a much better way to to build a transmission....now THAT wasn't very nice  :SM:

Good info, thanks!

turboprop

Quote from: fbn ent on April 14, 2021, 08:57:33 AM

I am sure everyone on this forum has a much better way to to build a transmission....now THAT wasn't very nice  :SM:

Good info, thanks!

They always do.

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.