April 25, 2024, 07:19:03 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Need help with "black box" LED headlights

Started by les, April 14, 2021, 12:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

les

The bike is a 2020 Street Glide.  I did not buy it, but I'm installing a LED headlight and auxiliary light kit (the guy got it from eBay) that came literally in a black box. No company name.  No instructions.  Just three lights, [Harley] axillary dashboard switch, and a headlight cable harness. I'm installing this along with the Harley auxiliary lighting kit (678000367A).

The headlight works, but I can't get the auxiliary lights to come on.  I did install this same kit on the guy's 2009 Road King and everything worked.  I'm not all that snappy with the electronics, I did try looking at the schematics and was able to set the BCM from dual halogen to standard (normal) mode but I could use some help on what connection(s) I'm missing.

Attached is a picture of the headlight harness that came in the black box.  It's got a three blade connector to the headlight, blue and black dangling wires, and a connector on the end of a blue wire.

PoorUB

How to the lights get power? The Street Glide did not come with accessory lights although the wiring may be there, but you may need to program the ECM and or BCM to power the auxiliary lights. Also, have you bench tested the lights?

The 2009 is no comparison to the 2020 Canbus took over in 2014 and it got tricky after that.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

les

I did install the Harley daymaker lights (with auxiliary) on my 2020 Electra Glide Standard, but of course it came with instructions and wiring.  I do see the auxiliary dashboard switch light up green.

I didn't think about if the bulbs are bad.  I'll put a volt meter across the connections to see if I'm getting any juice.  Thanks for that suggestion.

les

Nothing across the connection.  No power getting to the auxiliary connectors.  Power getting to the switch (green light) but not making its way to the aux lights.  I'm thinking I've got to splice somewhere...hoping someone might have installed these lights and can give me the solution.  I'm sure if I were as good in electronics as many of you, I'd have figured it out by now.

boooby1744

Contact the seller to see if they forgot to pack the directions or can give you the info you need.

les

There is just no voltage coming out of 31LA pin 4 and 31RA pin 4.

I don't know who the seller is because there is nothing noted on the box.  The guy I'm doing the work for does not know how to contact the eBay seller.

I'm thinking that because there is no power out of those pin 4's, there is something wrong with the bike.  I told him to go to a dealer and get them to get power out of those two pins, then bring it back and we'll slap on the auxiliary lights.

FSG

FSG

QuoteThere is just no voltage coming out of 31LA pin 4 and 31RA pin 4.

is there a Blue wire in the Faring Harness ?

Pentastar64

You're  going to take a trip to your local H-D shop and have them toggle the BCM to activate the road lights. Controlled through CANBUS. If you're lucky they'll do it for free.

les

Quote from: Pentastar64 on April 15, 2021, 12:35:02 PM
You're  going to take a trip to your local H-D shop and have them toggle the BCM to activate the road lights. Controlled through CANBUS. If you're lucky they'll do it for free.

Thanks!  That confirms what I heard from the dealer today.  I'll post results after I perform the emergency flashers procedure.

les

FSG, thanks for the replies, and sorry I've not responded.  I will try the BCM setting first and then follow your lead if the emergency flashers procedure does not work.

les

Both bulbs need to be connected for them to work.  When I initially tested, I only used one bulb.  Yesterday, I installed both and they lit.