April 19, 2024, 09:04:27 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Man o war 32 tooth compensator

Started by topcat3815, April 14, 2021, 01:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topcat3815

Ever since I installed the man o war 32 tooth compensator I have had a slight howling noise coming from my primary it goes up and down with rpm,s. Wandering if is normal or not. Thanks for all replies

itsafatboy

what chain tensioner are you using , not sure what year but i had good luck with the M6 adjust to 1/2" travel , maybe chain it to tight   

topcat3815

THE bike is a 2014 FLHTK the 32 tooth compensator requires a shoe that snaps on the adjuster. I modified the adjuster so that I can manually adjust the primary chain to around 5/8ths free play with adapter shoe in place.

kd

How many miles since installing.  Others that have installed smaller drive sprockets report the steep angle in the primary chain caused what you describe.  They also report it subsided once the chain and shoe got to know each other.  It took a while to bed in and be happy.
KD

boggart

Had the same issue with the 32T ManOWar on mine.  Ended up removing after only a few hundred miles.  Wife didn't trust riding to Sturgis with "that sound". Thought about putting it back in and trying it again, but now they don't even sell the replacement primary shoe (mine broke removing).  Pretty expensive paperweight.

topcat3815

V twin carries the shoe for the 32 tooth chain adjuster it's on page 969 of there 2021 catalog I think the part number 603803. I clamp my adjuster in a vice and remove and replace the shoe from the side

brent

with the 32 tooth did you have a tuner or take it somewhere and have it recalibrated for speedo and cruise

xlfan

Quote from: kd on April 15, 2021, 07:19:56 AM
How many miles since installing.  Others that have installed smaller drive sprockets report the steep angle in the primary chain caused what you describe.  They also report it subsided once the chain and shoe got to know each other.  It took a while to bed in and be happy.

No vendor has come up with a shorter primary chain yet?

topcat3815

I calibrated my speedometer using my power vision tuner to change the gear ratios hope this helps

topcat3815

As a follow up KD who is on this post was very helpful and I thank him gave me the correct ratios and I thank him

jmorton10

HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

jmorton10

KD (Kirk) & I went back & forth with different sprocket ratios for a while

Between his excellent advise & the above ratio calculator you should be able to figure out where you want to be.  :up: :up:

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

jmorton10

PoorUB

Quote from: xlfan on May 05, 2021, 11:08:48 PM
Quote from: kd on April 15, 2021, 07:19:56 AM

No vendor has come up with a shorter primary chain yet?

We had a big discussion about that a few years back. The next shorter chain is too short.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

jmorton10

I didn't leave the primary chain the way it shows in that pic.

I ran it for a week or so & then switched to a 30 tooth engine sprocket with a shorter primary chain & different adjuster.  Now the primary chain angle is the same as a stock setup.

~John

kd

Quote from: jmorton10 on May 06, 2021, 06:07:43 AM
I didn't leave the primary chain the way it shows in that pic.

I ran it for a week or so & then switched to a 30 tooth engine sprocket with a shorter primary chain & different adjuster.  Now the primary chain angle is the same as a stock setup.

~John

:up:  One of the nice things about running a rear drive chain is the selection of ratios are almost unlimited. By John reducing the primary drive sprocket to accommodate a more reasonable primary chain tensioner angle he was able to rectify any primary noise or premature failures.  Being able to select a rear sprocket combination that matched the targeted riding style makes it possible.
KD