March 28, 2024, 01:39:53 PM

News:

How to find out if ECM is stage 1 or 2

Started by bump, April 15, 2021, 12:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bump

I have a 02 FLHTCI and need to know if ECM was changed from stock. Dealer may have changed it when new. Bike came with Screaming Eagle air cleaner, stock mufflers. How do I determine if the upgrade was made? Tanks for any help.

rigidthumper

April 15, 2021, 03:31:16 PM #1 Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 04:28:07 AM by rigidthumper
Hook any flash tuner/ECM reader and get the part number of the current calibration in the ECM. Post the calibration number.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

bump

I hooked PC3 to computer and it says in notes that it is stage 2. I am wondering if dealer changed stock ECM because of high flow air cleaner. I put a Andrews TW 26 cams, cycle shack mufflers. Motor is 88", and the air filter. Had it dynoed and ran it for couple years. Downloaded a canned map and it runs better but has a stumble at about 4000 rpm.

I am trying to learn about how this works. I have not changed new map, made a copy of map to change but not sure what to change. Fuel mileage is down to about 30 mpg.

tbird

02 touring models had a problem with the fuel injection wire harness  being too short , causing occasional stumbles

bump

This is running like my shovel with S&S B carb with to large of main jet.

kouack

Quote from: bump on April 16, 2021, 06:38:22 AM
I hooked PC3 to computer and it says in notes that it is stage 2. I am wondering if dealer changed stock ECM because of high flow air cleaner. I put a Andrews TW 26 cams, cycle shack mufflers. Motor is 88", and the air filter. Had it dynoed and ran it for couple years. Downloaded a canned map and it runs better but has a stumble at about 4000 rpm.

I am trying to learn about how this works. I have not changed new map, made a copy of map to change but not sure what to change. Fuel mileage is down to about 30 mpg.

A Power commander ain't gonna tell you if the ecm is stock or not!

bump

Quote from: kouack on April 16, 2021, 04:07:15 PM
Quote from: bump on April 16, 2021, 06:38:22 AM

A Power commander ain't gonna tell you if the ecm is stock or not!

Ok PC# won't tell me about stock EMC. So how do I find out if EMC has ever been changed? I have been told that the stage 1 or 2 will make a difference when mapping a PC3.

Hossamania

Quote from: rigidthumper on April 15, 2021, 03:31:16 PM
Hook any flash tuner/ECM reader and get the part number of the current calibration in the ECM. Post the calibration number.

This is how you find out of it is a stage 1 or stage 2.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

FXDBI

Quote from: Hossamania on April 18, 2021, 06:10:42 AM

:agree:  back in 2002 the dealer could flash the ecm for stage 1 with out selling you a tuner. You paid them to flash a new map with the digital tech.  It has a Harley number assigned to it and recorded in the ecm.  Need a flash tuner to retrieve the number not a piggy back.   Bob

hattitude

Quote from: Hossamania on April 18, 2021, 06:10:42 AM

:agree:

Back in 2003, I did an HD 95" big bore kit on my 6 month old Heritage. It came with an ECM download cartridge for the tune. Not sure how it works, I had a dealer do the upgrade at the time..  But they gave me the download cartridge along with my old parts.

This is a borrowed pic from the internet, because my cartridge is buried up in a box in the attic, but mine looks just like this.

My specific download tune cartridge was #32860-02B.

I also had a Harley code reader for that bike, that showed a calibration ID when connected to the ECM...

It's been awhile, but I seem to remember the CAL-ID# was the same as the part number, #32860-02B... but I'm not completely sure about that..

CndUltra88

Quote from: tbird on April 16, 2021, 07:00:47 AM
02 touring models had a problem with the fuel injection wire harness  being too short , causing occasional stumbles
It was more than a stumble back in 02.
My Ultra would shut off when the wires got hot and stretched. (due to heat)
The fix was extended wires and solved the problem.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

apendejo

:idea: Go out on the road and wind it up in 2nd  gear and see where it hits the rev limiter. If it goes past 5500 or so rpm it means somebody did a stage flash to the stock box.

fbn ent

If it was done before going out the door and the dealer is still in business they may have a record of the work done. IIRC you can call a dealer with the VIN and they should be able to tell you where it was sold. Then, just give them a call. Or.....find someone with a reader. BTW, Stage one is the HD flash for pipes and air cleaner.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta