April 16, 2024, 06:11:32 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Front sprocket

Started by Nick9900, April 16, 2021, 05:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick9900

Trouble finding right compensator I ran pan head 3" belt drive putting 80 80" shovel head cone motor. Want to use drive setup. But uncertain what pulley to get for motor with 3" belt.  Don't really want to replace whole kit.

kd

Your problem will likely be the transmission main shaft.  The alternator engine has a longer shaft to clear the stator assembly.  Consequently, the transmission main shaft for those years is longer to meet up with the primary drive chain from the front sprocket.  No matter what you do, you will have to change the main shaft up to the alternator vintage.  IMO, the best way to do that is to move everything over into the later model gear case with the ears that are there to bolt up to the aluminum primary (or buy a used transmission and swap it out).  I doubt if you will be able to use much of the previous belt system (economically).  Your easiest solution is chain drive with a compensator sprocket.  They were pretty well bullet proof.

If you want to make lemonade out of this situation you could consider finding a complete set of shovelhead aluminum primary cases and a late model 4 speed transmission then piece together an electric start.  Assuming you are using a horseshoe oil tank, powerful lithium batteries are available in smaller sizes that will fit into smaller quarters.
KD

Nick9900

Does it help or hurt that the trany I'm currently running is a cow pie or Maytag Trans, it's not a ratchet. Couldn't run horse shoe because my transmission sets too high.

xlfan

It helps, that is the late model 4-speed kd refers to.

Do you know the Vendor for you 3" belt drive? Pitch? No of teeth for belt and sprocket?

Nick9900

I can count them and see it's 3" wide with no names etched on it or numbers

xlfan

April 16, 2021, 10:17:54 PM #5 Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 02:39:01 AM by xlfan
8 mm or 11 mm pitch?

Did you run a pre -54 Pan with a tapered and keyed sprocket shaft?

Nick9900

Not sure the pitch but it was tapered pre 54 with key