April 17, 2024, 10:48:23 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Head porting on a 124

Started by Mainecat, April 17, 2021, 08:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mainecat

Did a search didn't see much for the M8. 

Have a 124- TTS200 cam, stock heads, SE 64TB, high flow intake/filter, fullsac headers

Interested in knowing what a street port would add for numbers.  Have no idea what my current cam spec is, but figured if I am porting I'll need a higher lift cam.  Seems there are some out now that hit hard down low and carry all the way to redline.

Anyone have any experience/thoughts with a street port and 550+ lift cams?

Don D

What is a Street Port? It is a marketing term. Different shops have different packages and provide different levels of work and parts. We have a package we call "the Basics" that includes new springs, stock spring have been known to break, porting with stock valves and heads CCd. the assumption is the heads are in the way of added power. That assumption would mean you have the displacement, a cam, pipe and intake that have the potential to go higher above the flow potential of the heads and the compression is dialed in to match the cams intake close. With some of the short torque cams there would not be any significant gains. Design a build not pick pieces to expect a good outcome. Set your goal and then configure the group of parts needed to get there. We can help and not break the bank.

Mainecat

Marketing term?  What are you the performance keyboard police? 

If I would have just said ported heads I'm sure you would have replied with, are you racing or riding

Don D

Get over it, shops call their heads all sorts of things, Level X, Stage X, Street XX, Pro XX, -X, or whatever. I don't have disdain for them it is just how they sell their product just as I do. I am no police just trying to respectfully answer your question.

FLSTFIDave

Quote from: Mainecat on April 17, 2021, 05:59:36 PM
Marketing term?  What are you the performance keyboard police? 

If I would have just said ported heads I'm sure you would have replied with, are you racing or riding
Wow....  Pretty rude

He asked a simple question and tried to give you a good answer.
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

Nastytls

Agreed, that was a d**che response to a well thought out and direct answer to his question. Way to make friends and influence people... nobody will want to help if you respond to answers like that.

joes124

Perhaps look in the dyno section for something similar to what you are looking to do for or for one that contains parts you plan on reusing.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Mainecat on April 17, 2021, 08:24:30 AM
Did a search didn't see much for the M8. 

Have a 124- TTS200 cam, stock heads, SE 64TB, high flow intake/filter, fullsac headers

Interested in knowing what a street port would add for numbers.  Have no idea what my current cam spec is, but figured if I am porting I'll need a higher lift cam.  Seems there are some out now that hit hard down low and carry all the way to redline.

Anyone have any experience/thoughts with a street port and 550+ lift cams?

We port and use both an o/s intake and exhaust valve on our M8 heads with S&S .550's in both 124"s and 128"s.
Good gains witnessed on our SuperFlow 600 and in turn, good gains over the unported heads on the dyno also.
Best 124" to date was 153/151, S&S .550, etc, etc.
Dyno report is on our Facebook.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"