April 24, 2024, 04:26:15 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Harddrive Racing Bros Shocks

Started by GD, April 17, 2021, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GD

Hello

Long time reader first time posting. I am in the process of changing shocks again on my 2005 Road glide. I have had the stock air shocks, Progressive 444 and 944 shocks did not like any of them. I have just installed a take off set from of a 2020 Ultra today and will be trying them out. I am looking for information on the Harddrive Racing Bro shocks are they any good?. I have researched them on line but did not find any reviews for their touring shocks. Has anyone used them and what are your opinion of the shock.

Thanks GD

Deye76

IMHO shocks are like seats, handlebars, oil, tires. What one hates, another extolls numerous virtues. All I know is some $1000.00 shocks are  no better than $240.00 shocks, based on my experience. Internet suggestions are a effort in lightening your wallet. Unfortunately trial rides are not in the cards. Marketing hype is. Some guys who spend a grand on anything, shocks included, just can't bring themselves to admit they got took.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Ohio HD

Quote from: Deye76 on April 17, 2021, 03:49:11 PM
IMHO shocks are like seats, handlebars, oil, tires. What one hates, another extolls numerous virtues. All I know is some $1000.00 shocks are  no better than $240.00 shocks, based on my experience. Internet suggestions are a effort in lightening your wallet. Unfortunately trial rides are not in the cards. Marketing hype is. Some guys who spend a grand on anything, shocks included, just can't bring themselves to admit they got took.

I think that's a very realistic and straight forward answer.    :up:

Example, almost everyone hates Progressive 440 shocks, most say they're too stiff and harsh. I like them on my Street Glide because it has no suspension travel in the rear, and I ride fast and hard so I need something that won't bottom out or wallow around.

I don't have them on my Ultra because they're too stiff and harsh!    :wink:

PoorUB

I put a set of Ohlins on my 2016 and loved them. With the limitations of the Harley suspension they were a great improvement. Another inch or two of travel would really help, but after running air shocks, and a set of the new adjustable shocks I tried the Ohlins. If I were to buy another HD bagger I would put on a set of Ohlins right away.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

FLSTFIDave

I have the Ohlin HD-159 13" shocks on my 13 CVO King, way better than the stock 12" shocks.  I have the Legends Axeo cartridges up front.
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

04 SE Deuce

I'd pass on Taiwan made shocks. 

Quality/serviceable shocks can be re-valved at service time to suit rider preferences.  I would stick with a major player that has a solid rep.

Materials, tolerances, design, and features drive price. 

Not uncommon to see disparity in replies about tires and suspension on a Harley forum...you have to toss the chaff.

jmorton10

If I were to buy another HD bagger I would put on a set of Ohlins right away.

Yeah, me too, I love the Ohlins (& I'm embarrassed to admit how many different shocks I tried before the Ohlins lol)

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Tireman

I put the Pro-Action shocks on my Street Glide several years ago and just put a set of their 14" on my Triglide. They are located and made about an hour from me in Beaver Falls Pa. Customer service is exceptional and they are rebuildable. Hot Bike did a write up on them several years ago that caught my interested in trying them. They didn't break the bank either.
1984 FLHS 80" 57/61  2009 SG Mega Flo 124"152/154
2011 TG Mega Flo 117" 116/127