April 19, 2024, 07:25:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

SE Tapered, solid pushrod.. which end up?

Started by hattitude, April 18, 2021, 03:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hattitude

I found a set of #18407-03 Perfect Fit Pushrods, +.030, in my parts bin. I plan on using them in my '03 Heritage.  I had them out of the package, and no paperwork to be found, other than the package label...

Stupid question.... which end is up?

Does end "A" go up (into the rocker arm) or does end "B" go up (into the rocker arm)....?

Thanks in advance for the info...

Ohio HD

FSG

hattitude

kd

The reason is the tight clearance at the top of the pushrod tubes.  If you haven't already, while you have them off drill the tops out to 5/8" ID to about 1 1/2" deep.  :teeth:
KD

FSG

Quote from: kd on April 18, 2021, 05:55:05 PM
The reason is the tight clearance at the top of the pushrod tubes.  If you haven't already, while you have them off drill the tops out to 5/8" ID to about 1 1/2" deep.  :teeth:

:agree: 

Appowner

May I ask why drill them?  I'd guess oil drainage but I've been wrong before.

And Five Eighths inch?  Is that right?  Seems way big.  That's over a half inch.

kd

When you remove the rocker covers to do the pushrod change, look carefully down into the rocker box at where the pushrods exit into the rockers.  Roll the engine over and watch the pushrods as the rockers move through their arc.  You will see there is very little clearance between the pushrod and the inner top tube section.  In many cases it may even be contacting and is a known valve train noise maker if it does.  That's the reason your pushrods are tapered.  To try to reduce the chance of that occurring.  I believe it was FSG that introduced the members here to this easy modification that remedies the problem. They only seem to contact in the top section hence only drilling in a short distance.  The 5/8" x 1 1/2" is only marginally larger for a short distance but has been found to be adequate.  Searching upper pushrod tubes or similar search words should find you plenty of information on here.
KD

hattitude

Thanks for that tip.. I've read that on this forum before...

I'm chasing a ticking noise... when I upgrade my tensioners to the '07+ cam plate and Andrews 26 conversion cams, I developed a ticking sound at about 2400-3000 rpm when the engine warms up.. it's not bad, but annoys me..

I've already tried different lifters (3 different sets), Pushrods (3 sets, now w/S&S quickie adjustable), cheating the rocker bases towards the cam chest side of the engine, Rockout inserts installed & uninstalled... all with no change in tick sound.

Each time I chase the tick, I always look with a large magnifying glass, for witness marks on the tubes and/or pushrods.. I've never seen a mark of any kind... I have always wanted to drill out the tubes, just to be safe, but I don't have access to a lathe..

I saw a video by Kevin Baxter from Pro Twin Performance on an engine build... he showed how he checks the clearance around the valve springs and the lower rocker boxes...  That's one thing I never considered... I performed the procedure like shown in Baxter's video, and sure enough, both exhaust valves (front & rear) didn't come close to passing his .050" clearance test. There appears to be a small witness mark by the front exhaust valve, lower rocker cover .... So I am going to clearance the lower rockers per his procedure (fingers crossed).

Anyways.. I went in through the top, pulled my S&S quickie pushrods, measured them (I had them adjusted to 0.141" depth/ 32 TPI @ 4 turns & 3 flats). The adjusted Quickies measured within +0.002" to +0.007" of the one-piece, SE Perfect Fit +.030 pushrods I have.

I prefer solid pushrods, the SE tapered rods are slightly thinner at the portion I now know goes to the rocker arm, and the SE rods weigh 88 grams compared to the S&S quickies that weigh 100 grams.

So when I put it back together, I'll probably use the SE tapered rods....

This isn't the first time I've asked a question about this issue, I appreciate all the insight and the tips I get...! I'm hoping the witness mark I saw on the lower rocker cover is the final fix...

Appowner

Arrrggg!  You said pushrod TUBES.  I read PUSHRODS.  Man this getting old thing sucks!

So back to the tubes.  I wonder now if you could find a hone that would work?  I would think it would be easier to control than an ordinary drill bit.

hattitude

Quote from: Appowner on April 20, 2021, 08:13:48 AM

Arrrggg!  You said pushrod TUBES.  I read PUSHRODS.  Man this getting old thing sucks!

I hear you... I HATE when that happens... too much lately...