March 28, 2024, 05:15:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

oil pump

Started by david lee, April 18, 2021, 04:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

well after sitting for 10 mths i started the shovel with 1 press of the button. fired straight up but oil poured out the breather which i expected. can changing the check ball and spring solve the problem without removing the pump. im going to change the oil while im at it. thanks

JW113

Just my humble opinion, but if you let one of these old bikes sit for long periods, there is not much that can be done to keep them from wet sumping. Mine does it, and it's got a damn near new oil pump and I've tried to seat the check valve ball. After deciding that what the heck, just let it puke and be done with it, I've moved on. The only advice is "fire it up ever couple weeks", and it's a non-problem. OR, let it puke, and it's still a non-problem. Take your pick.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

76shuvlinoff

First fire in a month or more, slip a catch tray under it. Good to go.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

david lee

seems sitting 3-4 mths and is good. just my slackness i suppose. this time i forgot the drip tray as jw said start it every now and then. even better ride it thanks

2017FLHTK

Does the wet sumping issue get any better with a S&S oil pump installed? Or just the nature of the beast with old iron?

dusty1

Burnout

May 03, 2021, 09:15:39 PM #6 Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 09:21:21 PM by Burnout
Seems to me some do and some don't until they do and then they are like the others.

Nature of the beast, self preservative, after a certain period of time they all seem to wet themselves.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

turboprop

Quote from: david lee on April 18, 2021, 04:49:40 PM
well after sitting for 10 mths i started the shovel with 1 press of the button. fired straight up but oil poured out the breather which i expected. can changing the check ball and spring solve the problem without removing the pump. im going to change the oil while im at it. thanks

Simply changing the ball and spring does nothing. The seat in the pump body must be lapped.   Bean shows how here:

http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/showthread.php?t=87

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Burnout

I don't think the check valve is the problem.

The oil tank is above the pump/motor, gravity and time will have the oil seeping back through the pump.

If it happens fast, it could be a check valve problem, but for most it takes months for the oil to seep in.

david lee

Quote from: Burnout on May 09, 2021, 08:50:52 AM
I don't think the check valve is the problem.

The oil tank is above the pump/motor, gravity and time will have the oil seeping back through the pump.

If it happens fast, it could be a check valve problem, but for most it takes months for the oil to seep in.
thanks. yes im talking about 5-6 mths.less than that period its fine a mate whos a mc mech recons its normal

MikeL

Put inline shutoff valve on the oil supply line from the oil tank to the oil pump. It will stop the tank from draining out when sitting just don't forget to turn it on next time you start it up.

MIKE

Winston Wolf

Quote from: 2017FLHTK on April 25, 2021, 07:32:29 PM
Does the wet sumping issue get any better with a S&S oil pump installed? Or just the nature of the beast with old iron?

No.  I have one on my panhead.  Some years it doesn't leak a drop, the next year it will completely drain the oil tank, and you kick, puke, kick, puke, kick, puke, on and on and on.

nibroc

same with a XLCH ironhead....... :oil:

JW113

At the end of the day, what is the problem, exactly? Ignore your iron pony for months, it pees on the floor when you pay it some attention again. What did you expect? Broken, no. Voicing it's discontent, yes!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Dan89flstc

Quote from: MikeL on May 10, 2021, 08:03:37 AM
Put inline shutoff valve on the oil supply line from the oil tank to the oil pump. It will stop the tank from draining out when sitting just don't forget to turn it on next time you start it up.                                                                                                                                                                  MIKE

I would much rather forget to put a pan under the bike than forget that I had an oil shutoff valve to turn back on....

That is a solution that is worse than the problem.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Hossamania

Quote from: Dan89flstc on May 14, 2021, 05:28:06 AM
Quote from: MikeL on May 10, 2021, 08:03:37 AM
Put inline shutoff valve on the oil supply line from the oil tank to the oil pump. It will stop the tank from draining out when sitting just don't forget to turn it on next time you start it up.                                                                                                                                                                  MIKE

I would much rather forget to put a pan under the bike than forget that I had an oil shutoff valve to turn back on....

:agree:
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

cheech

Quote from: Dan89flstc on May 14, 2021, 05:28:06 AM

I'm aye on that also.
The HD gravity fed oil tank starter kit below:
Always under the bike when ya park it.

bump

I had the oil sump problem every spring with my shovelhead. It would puke oil on first startup of year. When rebuilding engine went through the oil pump and replaced anything that looked or felt wrong. An old guy that had HDs since the 50s told me to watch the torque of the oil pump bolts. Put it together like he said. Last three years it has not puked oil at start up.

rockman96

Quote from: turboprop on May 04, 2021, 08:20:58 PM

Simply changing the ball and spring does nothing. The seat in the pump body must be lapped.   Bean shows how here:

http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/showthread.php?t=87

If you don't have a pushrod laying around, you can buy three (3) new check balls...
- On the first one TIG tack a piece of rod to it and it can be used just like in the link above.
- Drop the 2nd ball in place, and with a pin punch and light hammer tap the ball. This just helps insure a good seat. Throw this ball in the trash immediately.
- Install the 3rd new ball when you reassemble the pump.
This works very well.

Dogbone45ACP

Just don't do what I did. Catch the oil in a container, then shut the garage door on the container. Really a mess.

Hossamania

Quote from: Dogbone45ACP on October 10, 2021, 12:32:53 PM
Just don't do what I did. Catch the oil in a container, then shut the garage door on the container. Really a mess.

:crook:
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Burnout

Did it hit in the middle and make a puddle?
Or did it hit on the edge and flip it up and throw oil everywhere?
:SM:

Reddog74usa

I have an evo pushrod you can have if you want to give it a shot. I keep a few that were cut out for this purpose.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

friday

Id be more worried if it didnt puke oil.
I park on tarp so as not to piss oil on the carpet, once is enough to learn that lesson

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: Hossamania on October 10, 2021, 02:06:26 PM

:crook:

My Father-in-Law (RIP) dumped 5 quarts straight through his F150, yes he forgot the plug, what a mess. Unfortunately for him I pulled in while he was mopping it up. I think about this every time I change oil.

:hyst:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway