2019 flde wheels on 1988 flst - how to make them fit??

Started by hogget, April 18, 2021, 06:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogget

i'm sure i saw a post that talked about the differences and what needed to be done to make them fit, but do you think i can find it now? - no
i think the 25mm? bearings can be swapped out to fit my 3/4 inch axles (either new bearings or inserts) but i also remember talk about boring out the pulley (?) to fit the bigger boss on newer wheel. cant remember anything about rotors - i have the wheels now and they have the original rotors on them
any assistance greatly appreciated before i start pulling things apart
rory

Dan89flstc

When the Softails first got the sealed ball bearings in `2000, the axle size was still 3/4", I think they continued using 3/4" axle diameter through `06 on the Softails.

Not sure what went on with the outside diameter of the sealed ball bearings...
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Ohio HD

Search the site for 3/4 wheel bearings, you'll get the answers needed.

hogget

JW113

Let me ask you a question: If a wider tire is what you are after, why not just buy a wider rim and have it laced to your '88 hub? There are a bunch of options to use a narrower pulley and space it out away from the tire. Seems like a hassle to deal with axles and bearings. To me, anyway. But the other thing to check out, will a wider tire even fit inside the fender of a '88?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

kd

:agree:  A wider rim can also be laced to favour one side slightly to make a marginal fender or wider tire work. 

KD

hogget

sorry, should have explained - i understand that my wide pulley might not fit on the newer wheels (apparently the boss on newer wheels is larger id than the id of my wide pulley), so i was going to use a narrow rear pulley to save hassles - will use standard tyre

JW113

OK, so I guess I'm confused here.

What *exactly* are you trying to do? Now it sounds like you're simply trying to put a narrow belt on your '88. Yes? I don't recall exactly what year, but sometime in the 90's they started using narrow belts/pulleys on Sportys. I know this because I had a set on my '92, and now they're hanging on my garage wall. In fact I just looked at it, p/n 40246-91. So early 90s. Will bolt directly to an Evo era wheel.

Maybe something like that will work for ya?

-JW

hogget

JW, my rims are rusty, so i was going to just swap the newer complete wheels in, which is why i was wondering about the narrow belt
as i understand it, the swap may no be straightforward, so your suggestion of lacing new rims is a good one and i will keep it in mind
i have the old rear wheel out and will test fit the new wheel today
thanks
rory

JW113

Hogget, I can only speak for myself here. Your rear rim is rusty. Yep, they get that way. I bought a '92 FLSTC from a coastal town, and the rims were complete crap. Rusty, pitted, spokes totally wasted, just crap. Like a total putz, I bought a set of new 16" wheels from Ebay. Yes, I know, they are made were made somewhere in "Asia". They were $125 a pop. And guess what? They are, to my eyes and in my opinion, very good quality. I even took the bearings out to look, they were NSK, made in Japan. Good stuff. This has been now several years in use, no issues what-so-ever. Wheels still spin true. Can't say anything bad about them, honestly.

Your bike is now over 30 years old. Just an old guy saying, keep it stock! Old bikes that are modified ain't worth a nickel. You tell me, what's more valuable, a bone stock 1946 Knucklehead, or one that has been chopped to death and almost nothing stock left on it? Just a matter of time til Evos are in the same boat.

-JW

hogget

ok, test fitted the new rear wheel today and discovered there are quite a few issues that need to be overcome to make it work
. 25mm id bearings rather than 3/4 inch on the 88 - i understand this can be dealt with by using internal spacers so i can use my stock axle
. without the rear pulley fitted, the width of wheel hub with disc fitted is about 5mm wider than the 88 wheel
. with a newer 1 1/8 inch pulley fitted it wont fit between the swingarm - the 88 pulley (1 1/2 inch) is offset inwards so that its outer face is flush with the carrier - on the newer one the pulley is offset outwards from the carrier (i'm guessing that the later (2019 in this case) swingarms are wider, even thought the wheels are the same size (16 x 3.00) - the pulley boss on the newer hub is 56mm, vs 50mm on the oldie meaning that if i wanted to use the old pulley on the new hub, it would need to be bored out
. the swept area of the newer brake discs is around 25mm vs 44mm on the oldie - and the disc boss on the new hub is 56mm vs 50 on the oldie - meaning that if i wanted to use the old disc on the new hub, it would need to be bored out
. new spacers would need to be made for left and right sides
. most of these issues are replicated for the front wheel as well as there being no provision for the front wheel speedo drive
other than these things, its a piece of cake    :emsad:
i knew a lot of these issues would arise, but am beginning to think this may all be a bit too hard for me - will think about it a bit further while i'm waiting for my new ignition
thanks again for all the feedback
rory

Hossamania

It's the little things that make custom "custom", even when it doesn't look that much different. A lot of little things.
All that just to fit a wheel that's close.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.