March 29, 2024, 08:04:55 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Trans flush

Started by 76shuvlinoff, April 18, 2021, 07:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

Been running shockproof heavy for 18 years, time to drain and refill again. I'd like to flush it out this time. I was thinking about draining, refilling with kerosene, running a 1/2 mile, draining and refilling with fresh SP Heavy.

Thoughts?
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

kd

I would probably chose a light engine or ATF oil if it were me.  Run it till it's right up to temp and dump it. Maybe a static flush with varsol or the like after to chase out anything left caught up in the oil cling before refilling. 
KD

Hossamania

I agree with the atf rather than kerosene.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

76shuvlinoff

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

bump

The old flathead 80" manual stated to drain oil from oil bag and transmission. Fill with kerosene, run for 5 minutes. Drain kerosene and fill with oil. Do this at every oil change.

Hossamania

Quote from: bump on April 19, 2021, 03:32:18 AM
The old flathead 80" manual stated to drain oil from oil bag and transmission. Fill with kerosene, run for 5 minutes. Drain kerosene and fill with oil. Do this at every oil change.

I think that is from a time when oil was far inferior to the blends now offered. Not saying it's not a good idea, just that oil back then was pretty crude and dirty.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Burnout

Don't fix it, if it ain't broke.

If there is anything significant to flush out, you need a trans rebuild...
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

Bingo! There is nothing in there to worry about. Take it out for a ride, drain the oil hot, refill & you're done.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

turboprop

Quote from: Burnout on April 19, 2021, 07:25:44 AM

You have never run Red Line transmission oil with Shockproof?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: JW113 on April 19, 2021, 08:40:35 AM
Bingo! There is nothing in there to worry about. Take it out for a ride, drain the oil hot, refill & you're done.

-JW

Hoping to thin the leftover pepto down so it all drains, or at least as much as I can get.
 - Ernest Hemingway

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: bump on April 19, 2021, 03:32:18 AM

When I got this bike in 94 I pulled the oil tank.  It took a large flathead screwdriver to remove the putty from the bottom of the oil tank. After that it was brake cleaner and kerosene to make it shiny.
 - Ernest Hemingway

JW113

Oil in "the good old days" didn't have the kind of detergents in it like the modern stuff has. Not to mention, today's fuel does not contain lead. When I was a gas station mechanic back in the '70s, you would not believe what I saw when pulling oil pans and valve covers on car motors. THAT was why they said to never put detergent oil in cars that had been run on non-detergent. If you do, you break up all that stuff that's gelled in place and plug the motor with it.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Dan89flstc

Quote from: turboprop on April 19, 2021, 08:41:01 AM

It is gear lube, not contamination.

A simple oil change will remove most of the lube, and down the road the next change will probably get the rest.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

turboprop

Quote from: Dan89flstc on April 20, 2021, 07:09:07 AM
Quote from: turboprop on April 19, 2021, 08:41:01 AM

It is gear lube, not contamination.

A simple oil change will remove most of the lube, and down the road the next change will probably get the rest.

That pink Hydroshock sticks to everything better than anything I have ever seen. Simply draining it doesn't work. It has to be flushed with some type of solvent to get it out.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Coyote

I had to use break clean to get the HDShock out of my two transmissions. And not that CA crap, had to be the real stuff. But I had the transmission apart, not just flushing it. Stuff is sticky as hell.

FSG

throw some Shockproof Light (green/turquoise) in there for a while   :SM:

76shuvlinoff

Back to this... I still have not flushed the trans. The shockproof in there doesn't have 4000 miles on it but it is several years old.  Still got that on the list though.

I was having downshift issues with the lever not returning to center for the next downshift.  Turns out I had a heim joint in the linkage seizing up.   

:embarrassed:
 - Ernest Hemingway

kd

Geeze 76.  You were holdin back information on us.  We coulda helped you find that.  :wink:
KD