April 19, 2024, 12:54:43 PM

News:

Baffled

Started by Deye76, April 21, 2021, 04:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

New 2020 Lowrider S. Still completely stock, ran very good. At 550 miles changed the oil. Added 4 quarts, road it about 1/4 (cold outside) mile shut it off. Let it sit, came back couple hours later, checked level on the side stand, dipstick dry. Added a 1/2 quart, dipstick still dry. Stand the bike level, dipstick read a little over halfway between add and hot. Back on sidestand dipstick dry. Started it up on sidestand, let it idle for 3 minutes, shutoff, dipstick dry. This thing sumping all of sudden? 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

kd

Check the primary.  Only a few places it can go - on the ground, into the crankcase or across into the primary (and if full enough into the trans).  If it's staying in the crankcase it will be lazy. If the primary it will show up by checking the derby level.
KD

Deye76

Changed all 3, put redline in the primary & trans, if oil is migrating the oil color would change, no?

joe_lyons

With bike straight pull the sump plug and measure how much comes out.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Buglet

April 22, 2021, 05:22:51 AM #4 Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 05:31:52 AM by Buglet
   Have a 2018 Heritage in here, it holds ever bit of 5 Qts. Did you check how much oil can out.  I always check how much oil comes out on ever bike that comes though here, motor, primary, and trans. This way you have an idea what is going on and what to check for.

Buglet

Check your manual Harley says 5 Qts with filter. 

Deye76

False alarm. Ran the bike hard today, not sumping, so far. After speaking with several Softail owners, my experience was like theirs. Their advice, check the oil level with the bike upright, did, and the oil level is where it should be. Not on the side stand (side stand which is another story... firggin joke) like the manual says. Maybe you can if you run 5 quarts, but people know a 1/2 quart down is prudent. So far though, really like this bike, best suspension I've experienced on a HD. Appreciate the reply's.

To The Max

Quote from: Deye76 on April 22, 2021, 04:35:49 PM
False alarm. Ran the bike hard today, not sumping, so far. After speaking with several Softail owners, my experience was like theirs. Their advice, check the oil level with the bike upright, did, and the oil level is where it should be. Not on the side stand (side stand which is another story... firggin joke) like the manual says. Maybe you can if you run 5 quarts, but people know a 1/2 quart down is prudent. So far though, really like this bike, best suspension I've experienced on a HD. Appreciate the reply's.
Hi glad to see you sorted it out. and yes these new Softail suspensions are great but if you want to go up another level YSS or W Wilbers or even Ohlins will make it even better i know i got the YSS (the cheapest). Also i have always run the full amount of oil in my bike with a std oem oil pump and the larger oem oil filter never had a problem i dont think many sortails had a problem with sumping.

OldMike

April 23, 2021, 04:42:05 AM #8 Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 05:04:55 AM by OldMike
You got bad advice.
First off the M8 Softail does not sump OR transfer. I have a 2020 Low Rider S and had a 2019 Low Rider before that. Oil with filter change, I use about 4.5 quarts and get about 1/2 way on the dip stick measured with bike on side stand. Use your owners manual for the checking procedure, you are not the only person new to this bike to see funny levels. Once you get used to the bike and ride a bit longer after a 4.5 quart change you'll see oil on the stick. You want the oil level about 1/2 way on the stick so your head breathers don't blow oil on your air filter.

Buglet

One of the best ways to check your oil is after a long run oil good and hot, set your oil level where you want it then you can check it when cold and see were it's at and use that as your cold level check point.

Deye76

Checking oil cold or hot was never a question that needed to be asked, until this bike.  :scratch: Only HD engineers could make it this way. The manual says when changing oil start with 4qts., what I did. Then added A 1/2 qt. The bike runs upright, not on the sidestand. Gawd I hate talking about oil, but here I am. :gob:

KiwiRob

Quote from: OldMike on April 23, 2021, 04:42:05 AM
You got bad advice.
First off the M8 Softail does not sump OR transfer. I have a 2020 Low Rider S and had a 2019 Low Rider before that. Oil with filter change, I use about 4.5 quarts and get about 1/2 way on the dip stick measured with bike on side stand. Use your owners manual for the checking procedure, you are not the only person new to this bike to see funny levels. Once you get used to the bike and ride a bit longer after a 4.5 quart change you'll see oil on the stick. You want the oil level about 1/2 way on the stick so your head breathers don't blow oil on your air filter.

I agree. Manual says, Place vehicle on LEVEL ground resting on the JIFFY STAND - Rob

Deye76

April 23, 2021, 04:16:54 PM #12 Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 04:26:55 PM by Deye76
"Manual says, Place vehicle on LEVEL ground resting on the JIFFY STAND"

In the original post, "Back on sidestand dipstick dry" = I checked with 4.5 QUARTS. ON SIDESTAND, DIPSTICK DRY. The problem or not, is, manual says what you said, but reality is, dipstick is bone dry, UNTIL, you stand the bike level, with 4,5 quarts. So in order to read on the sidestand, this bike requires ALL 5 quarts, I assume. Twin Cam, run 1/2 qt. low, this? what?  fill  it until overflows? LOL   

KiwiRob

Quote from: Deye76 on April 23, 2021, 04:16:54 PM
"Manual says, Place vehicle on LEVEL ground resting on the JIFFY STAND"

In the original post, "Back on sidestand dipstick dry" = I checked with 4.5 QUARTS. ON SIDESTAND, DIPSTICK DRY. The problem or not, is, manual says what you said, but reality is, dipstick is bone dry, UNTIL, you stand the bike level, with 4,5 quarts. So in order to read on the sidestand, this bike requires ALL 5 quarts, I assume. Twin Cam, run 1/2 qt. low, this? what?  fill  it until overflows? LOL   

On the jiffy stand, fill it to just short of the hot full mark, simple. - Rob

Grayrider

18 Heritage 114. Thing is I get so much foam on the stick I don't really know where the oil level is when hot!
I let it idle for a few minutes to check but still foam.
I check it cold.  I keep it on a stand and know where it should be.
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

kd

What kind of oil are you using.  If I was getting foam I think I would be rethinking the oil and additive package.  Air filled oil is not such a great lube.
KD