April 23, 2024, 05:50:14 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1995 Softail Lower Triple tree numbers

Started by dubepj, April 22, 2021, 10:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

On my lower triple tree there is a number (JHO428)  Reason i mention this I think bike may have been in a crash and front end part may have been replaced.  Or it's just a casting number.

Speeding Big Twin

It isn't a casting number. It is an additional original component identifying number, aka security code, aka anti-theft number. For 1990, 91, 92, 93 and 95, J was one of the letters used in the first position. In the second position the letter could have been almost anything, apart from I, O and Q which were not used on triple trees. Therefore H in the second position makes sense.

Because the letter O was not used on triple trees I think your third character may be the number 0. And I wouldn't expect three letters anyway until part of the way thru the 2007 model year.

Position of the ID number may provide a clue as to model year. Is yours underneath the tree? Or is it on top of the padlock plate? If it's under the tree then I think it more likely to be a 95 model as opposed to 90–93.

The factory recorded the additional ID number of each bike for future reference so if that tree is original to the bike then the ID number will be on file at H-D along with the frame number and engine number.
Eric

dubepj

Thanks Speeding Big Twin for the reply.  Very good answer.  Bike is a 1995.  Number is on top of the padlock plate.

Speeding Big Twin

You're welcome. For 95 I would have expected it to be under the tree but maybe they were using both positions around that time.
Eric