Silver Bead Blast 98606BY.. do you use primer??

Started by 1340evo, April 23, 2021, 11:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Hi, I've just finished re-building the bottom end and in doing I removed the existing paint. I have a couple of cans of paint but the instructions aren't that clears.

It says to use a base coat, but then goes on to say on H-Temp coatings are applied dirrect to the metal.

Anyone done this and if so, what did you do?... I have the jugs, inner primary and gearbox in this color so thats why I want paint it... cheers

1340evo

hbkeith

April 24, 2021, 01:55:11 AM #2 Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 01:59:30 AM by hbkeith
ive never used a base coat with HD black engine paint , never used silver

1340evo

I think its the same label they put on all tins, then just print on the front what it is?? so if it was frame paint, you'd need a primer?

Fugawee

I have used HD, and other brands paints on engines, etc.  I have used flats, glosses, and hi-temp.  Black, Silver, and Red.  All "rattle cans".  I have never used a primer, just made sure that the surfaces were oil free, and clean/dry.  The paint jobs are lasting just fine...no peeling, bubbling, etc.  I believe HD paint for the engine, etc. is called Texture Black.  I don't know about Silver.  A bit of a difference between Flat and Wrinkle Black.  You will notice the difference in paints.  It may take a few coats...at least for Me it did, depending on Your eyes, and how well You like the look.  Happy Spraying.

1340evo

well, its on the barrels, heads and lifter blocks (over the existing), had to blend it in on the inner primary as the old stuff is a tad darker due to age?,,,
But I've run out of masking tape to do the bottom end.. so that will be my task tomorrow.. It kind of dries quicker than I thought, looks good tho :)

Fugawee

April 24, 2021, 12:44:05 PM #6 Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 12:49:31 PM by Fugawee
As long as it looks good to You...that's all that matters.  As far as a frame paint, I believe that Your frame should have a powder coat finish on it.  A stock frame anyways, with no modifications, or stripped and re-done somehow.  If You have a few scrapes, scratches, etc, on the frame...You can probably touch it up with a little paint.  It more than likely wont be a perfect match, but it will cover up the dings.  I have done it with an automotive type of "touch up", that has a small brush; and sometimes a small wheel like roller on it.  I know that HD has quite a selection of small bottles of touch up paint,(at least they used to) primarily for gas tanks, fenders, pin striping, etc...but I don't know if they have one specifically for frame use.
Also, depending on what type of tape You are masking off with...I have always found that the Blue Painters Tape worked better for Me than the traditional Masking Tape.  I have bought it in different width rolls at a "bargain" type of store.

1340evo

Fugawee

I'm well aware of that.  Your above post asks about frame paint, and does it need a primer.