April 18, 2024, 02:56:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Starter bendix

Started by motorplex88, April 25, 2021, 08:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorplex88

Acquired a 76 model FXE with FL garb a few days ago. Need to get a new bendix. I can't say that I have ever bought one. Are there certain units better than others ? I gotta get this fixed to be able to line out carb and timing issues. I have kicked on this b*#ch enough. I'm getting to old 🙄

guppymech

My original bendix crapped out last fall and I bought a All Balls bendix 79-2109, it's been working perfect this spring.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

motorplex88

Thanks. I'll check it out :up:

Burnout

There are some Brazillian units being made that have shown a good service life.
Brand name is Zen.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

packrat56

I been using zen with good luck,
Look for the 6 roller, it's a little larger od.
If I use any brand of 5 roller they poop the bed
in a short time
Now I know, why some animals eat their young.

guppymech

I'm remembering the All Balls one being made in Brazil also and the roller clutch is a little larger in diameter than the stock bendix but it fit fine.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

motorplex88

I ended up calling California Phil. Actually not sure what brand he is sending but it's on the way. Thanks for the info none the less.👍

Burnout

Changing the primary oil regularly helps the starter clutches to last longer.

They are a ramp and roller deal and wont tolerate any dirt or debris, any garbage that gets in the bendix cant get out because of the shield.

motorplex88

Yup, I'm thinking that probably assisted in the failure of this one. The primary is not isolated and when I pulled the outer primary it was nasty on the inside. I believe I'll isolate it while I'm messing with it to keep that crap out of the engine oil.

turboprop

Quote from: motorplex88 on April 25, 2021, 08:15:20 AM
Acquired a 76 model FXE with FL garb a few days ago. Need to get a new bendix. I can't say that I have ever bought one. Are there certain units better than others ? I gotta get this fixed to be able to line out carb and timing issues. I have kicked on this b*#ch enough. I'm getting to old 🙄

Spragg is the gold standard of starter clutches.

http://www.spraggusa.com
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

billbuilds

Quote from: turboprop on April 26, 2021, 05:52:39 PM
Quote from: motorplex88 on April 25, 2021, 08:15:20 AM

Spragg is the gold standard of starter clutches.

http://www.spraggusa.com

@ $168.95 each it would seem more like the platinum standard. Ouch
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

motorplex88

Wow! At those prices it might make a fella look at that kicker a little longer   :hyst:

Burnout

And that $168 unit will fail just as fast when it gets debris in it.

One4Tone

April 30, 2021, 08:40:26 PM #13 Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 08:44:53 PM by One4Tone
..usually if all checks out lack of gas will make it a struggle starting a shovel