April 17, 2024, 06:53:58 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Swapped headlight bullb now spots are dim

Started by Ironheadmike, April 26, 2021, 04:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironheadmike

98 flsts . I swapped out the light bulb for a brighter one and now my spots are really dim . The bulb is a halogen . Almost amber . Any suggestions on how to fix this or what the problem is ?

Hossamania

Go back into the assembly and look for loose connections, bad ground. Wiggle wires while the lights are on, look for frayed wires.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ironheadmike

Everything is good and tight . Could the lights be too much draw ?

Pete_Vit

:scratch: maybe the spots just 'look' dim, are they halogen also?
when I swapped my HL with a brighter bulb the issue I had was the draw and with the spots on the fuse kept getting blown, since you not seeing that maybe it's just an illusion ?
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Hossamania

April 29, 2021, 04:42:37 AM #4 Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 04:48:20 AM by Hossamania
Disconnect the new bulb and see if anything changes.
Let's may be on to something, might be an optical illusion. Are you checking them in daylight or in the dark?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

mkd

ironhead, what hoss said is spot on. the headlight wires can get frayed and the plug itself to the back of the bulb can be loose or corroded. i know when installing the trim ring you can put too many twists in the wires and mess the wiring up. my 98 flsts had a headlight issue. i think there is a ground strap rivet to headlight housing that could get loose as well.

Dan89flstc

Read the voltage at the connector for one of the spots, while the spot is connected (and turned on...).

Do this with the headlamp connector plugged in, and with it unplugged.

Voltage reading should be the same.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

bobrk1

I  went  with  the  halogen  then a led never  affected  the  spotlight , have  you  unplug  the  light  and  noticed  a  difference ?