May 02, 2024, 05:58:13 PM

News:

Ultra handlebar height vs Cable length

Started by apes, May 08, 2021, 07:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apes

The stock bars on my '02 cause soreness at he end of the day fron stretching forward.  What are the cut off height on ultra handlebars so that cables do not need to be changed to longer ones?

kd

Take a look at the heritage bars. They are IMO more comfortable when adjusted and don't need any cable mods. 
KD

Don D

Will they work in the fairing though? The base needs to be wider. A 12" ape needs the clutch cable lengthened. But very comfortable for my 6'1" frame. An 8" can be done with no cable changes

kd

Quote from: HD Street Performance on May 08, 2021, 07:56:09 AM
Will they work in the fairing though? The base needs to be wider. A 12" ape needs the clutch cable lengthened. But very comfortable for my 6'1" frame. An 8" can be done with no cable changes

I have them on my 2011 RGU.  They do reduce the access to the glove boxes somewhat on the RG the way I have them adjusted but not to the point it's a problem.  I just compared them to my 98 Ultra which will be identical to the 02 and you are correct, they are not wide enough across the base to clear the ends of the fairing.
KD

Don D

Streetglide and Ultra fairings are a different requirement than the RG

kd

I see that now.  I didn't consider it because the Ultra seating position with the batwing has been OK for me.  I used the Heritage bars more to correct the wrist angle on the RG.   They do work well for that but not what the OP is looking for.  :embarrassed:
KD

bobrk1

My 12 bars were  not  comfortable  then one  day  I  noticed  that  my  buddy's  bars were  higher , I  loosen  them up and  pushed  them forward . Was just  enough  to  make  them feel  good , I  know  that  if you  have  to  change  cables  and  wires it gets  expensive . Hope  this  helps . 

apes

Soooo you didnt have to change cables and wires for your 12 inch bars???