April 19, 2024, 11:40:19 AM

News:

Base gasketts, are James any good?

Started by 1340evo, April 27, 2021, 11:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Got these in a set with the bike.. any good? I did hear they had problems with the early ones and as you can see, its dated 2003.
when did they come out?

Also, they finish at ".020... what does the std Harley paper one measure?... thanks

motorhogman

I used them on my old shovels and they were great. Tried various James Gaskets on my TC 88.. Never again.. Sticking with OEM.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

1340evo

Really.. what happened on the TC...
Was it the same type as above?

When you say OEM, you are using the std paper ones?

kd

Are you asking the same question in 2 separate threads to see how many different answers you will get?  :hyst:
KD

Scotty

I have used both Cometic and James base gaskets on Evos but really the only thing that works if you are not going to get the case and barrels faced for a clean level engagement is to use pigtails or similar and then it does not matter what base gasket you use.

SixShooter14

Quote from: Scotty on April 27, 2021, 04:59:09 PM
I have used both Cometic and James base gaskets on Evos but really the only thing that works if you are not going to get the case and barrels faced for a clean level engagement is to use pigtails or similar and then it does not matter what base gasket you use.
I rebuilt mine last year with James, had the surfaces faced, and installed pigtails, also new studs and head nuts....... No leaks.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

JW113

I've never had the surfaces faced, and no leaks. I am big fan of those Foam-met gaskets, they seem pretty forgiving to surface quality. I'm not saying to NOT face your surfaces if you can, just that I've not done it and not been unhappy that I didn't.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

SixShooter14

Quote from: JW113 on April 27, 2021, 07:03:25 PM
I've never had the surfaces faced, and no leaks. I am big fan of those Foam-met gaskets, they seem pretty forgiving to surface quality. I'm not saying to NOT face your surfaces if you can, just that I've not done it and not been unhappy that I didn't.

-JW
proper torque pattern and proper warm up procedure will help as well.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

JW113

Oh you mean like fire it up cold with the choke, push it in, then do a full throttle red line burn out every morning?
:SM:

(actually knew a guy that did that...)

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Scotty

Quote from: JW113 on April 27, 2021, 07:03:25 PM

-JW

I use pigtails regardless and no leaks. Cheap insurance and easy to fit.

1340evo

My surfaces are good, I can just get a .002 fealer in places but only on the outer edges

I'm not sure we see pig-tails in the UK? no idea what they are unless we are talking about machining a grove and setting O ring type material in there?

Billy

I've used those numerous times without pigtails or facing, no issues.
Make sure surfaces aren't damaged, and are clean of old gasket material and dry.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

1340evo

I see what pig tails are.. a bypass tube to take the return oil past the joint.. Look smaller on OD, don't they back up. TBH I could make some of those easy.. will look ;)

motorhogman

Quote from: 1340evo on April 27, 2021, 02:57:25 PM
Really.. what happened on the TC...
Was it the same type as above?

When you say OEM, you are using the std paper ones?

Not saying base gaskets.. rocker cover gaskets. lifter cover gaskets,  also had weeping from push rod tube o rings. Along with that I had to replace the James exhaust gaskets, Labeling said they were correct for the application. Found out later they don't work well with stock header pipes.  Replaced with OEM gaskets, o rings and sealed up nicely. I got a "deal" online on a James cam change gasket set.. I know others on this site have had issues with rockers James rocker cover gaskets leaking..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Pete_Vit

I've used James for my top end on the EVO Sporty rebuild in 04, then my Springer top end EVO-TWIN 2011 or 2012, so far no issues
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

1340evo

Quote from: Pete_Vit on April 28, 2021, 10:28:31 AM
I've used James for my top end on the EVO Sporty rebuild in 04, then my Springer top end EVO-TWIN 2011 or 2012, so far no issues

Did this include the base gasket?... and .030" composite head gasket...

Scotty

Quote from: 1340evo on April 28, 2021, 04:02:20 AM
I see what pig tails are.. a bypass tube to take the return oil past the joint.. Look smaller on OD, don't they back up. TBH I could make some of those easy.. will look ;)

No never had a problem and lots of bikes run them with no problems.
Once installed never had a base gasket leak ever and I mean ever

1340evo

Will investigate.. anyone know the hole diameter in them? Looks like it's a mod that must be done  :bike:
Then I can run thin paper gaskets as well.....

jsachs1

Quote from: 1340evo on April 28, 2021, 11:50:44 PM
Will investigate.. anyone know the hole diameter in them? Looks like it's a mod that must be done  :bike:
The ID of the copper tube "Pig Tail" is 3/16". I usually shorten them 1/2". Makes install of cylinder into the case easier. Why would you want to use paper or Kevlar base gaskets? Cylinder spigot to case bore can leak easy also. Cometic makes coated metal base gaskets starting at .010" thickness, and up. :up:
John

98fxstc

Quote from: 1340evo on April 28, 2021, 11:50:44 PM

I am not running base gaskets
I have a smear of threebond with the pigtails and no leaks after10 years
Was just where I wanted the squish