March 28, 2024, 07:19:43 AM

News:

Clutch Problems

Started by e-glide90, April 27, 2021, 03:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e-glide90

Had Motortrike manual reverse installed on my2011 TriGlide. As soon as bike warms very little clutch starts to grab making shifting hard.bike has Muller power clutch. Tried all different adjustments, put back stock clutch arm, cleaned and inspected clutch pack, checked hub and shell for damage. Even called motortrike to make sure pushrod was correct length, it was.  Running out of ideas, worked fine before reverse install, but can see nothing with it that would affect clutch adjustment. Works beautiful in garage, but let it warm up and goes to he**.  Any thoughts or ideas appreciated e-glide90

kd

As it warms up you get more free play in the clutch handle. You will need to adjust it with next to no free play cold.
KD

jmorton10

The Muller unit makes correct clutch adjustment absolutely critical

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

e-glide90

clutch adjusted with almost zero free play, had Muller in last two bikes, never a problem adjusting. put stock back in with same results.

xlfan

I guess you don't run a tad too tight primary chain?

Or too much primary oil?

e-glide90

primary chain adjuster set and welded at 3/4 cold slack, oil even with bottom of clutch spring.

Hossamania

Try a new spring/diaphragm?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

kd

I'm thinking something has changed inthe last thing you did by installing the reverse set-up.  I suspect you agree.  How many miles on your clutch cable?  Are your lever bushings etc. tight or worn? 

Look at the ferrule into the clutch lever and check it for seating square.  A cable that is cocked to the side at this point can eat up a lot of that free play the Muller adjustment has little tolerance for.  I actually have a support clamp I made to keep my cable straight and in position.  Member fbn ent has used a tie wrap to keep his true to the clutch perch. 

Is it possible the cable repositioning for your reverse kit installation has changed the "free play zone" (in other areas) that has been worn into it?  I changed my 2011 RGU cable out with a new Barnett easy effort and noticed an immediate difference in adjusting my Muller unit.

Have you installed a return spring over the cable in the transmission?  It is very helpful in exacting the adjustment but you have to be able to feel the spring when you do the adjustment.  It tends to mask that free zone and it is possible to have too much free play in your adjustment.
KD

xlfan

e-glide90

new clutch spring less than 2000 miles, cable about 6000miles at most. had clutch cable off at perch to clean and lube everything, ends look good. doubt if it is stretched lots of adjustment left at adjuster. Yes first thought was something changed with new part, only difference reverse is plate,spacer with gears added to trans shafts (no binding or clearance issues ) longer pushrod with added length to compensate for spacer. clutch adjustment same as stock.

smoserx1

It sounds to me like the clutch is not adjusted properly.  I mean when you adjust it at the  release plate you are effectively setting how far the pressure plate will move and allow the stack of plates to separate.  Not enough and it will drag like you describe.  Too much and it will not clamp clamp the stack fully and the clutch will slip.  All that Muller ramp does is make the separation effect less for the same amount of cable travel, no different than moving the pivot point of a pry bar closer to the load.  You say you put in a different length pushrod?  Isn't it possible that might change something since when you adjust the clutch you are in effect altering the length of the whole pushrod assembly?  With the outer primary cover off you can see the clutch separate when you pull in the lever (I can for certain).  Try adjusting it for a little more visual separation if that is possible and see what happens.

FSG

who did the install ?

with gears screwed on replacing the nuts on the mainshaft and countershaft me thinks that's where the problem is

are they on far enough ?

e-glide90

longer pushrod was part of the kit. lengthened the same amount that spacer with shifter adds. instructions are to adjust according to service manual. unit was installed by local indy with over 20 yrs. working at Harley dealer. have known him and his work that long. gears fit inside the spacer ( goes between trans. case and cover) so no interference there.

FSG

QuoteEven called motortrike to make sure pushrod was correct length, it was.

and that length was ?

well go back and adjust the clutch again, remove the trannie dipstick and ensure the inner ramp is in the home rearmost position before you start

e-glide90

length was 12 5/16 "  can't tell looking through dipstick hole, spacer puts it too far to tell ? maybe I'm not doing that right.

Hossamania

You're just looking to make sure the ramp is retracting all the way, not looking for the pushrod.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

e-glide90

UPDATE:    Replaced muller ramps with stock, ( I know, hated to do it.) Took out S&S clutch spring and stock back in. Also shaved left grip down to get more lever movement. Hard to figure, since setup worked before reverse install. Now works as it should, thanks for all the ideas.  e-glide :up:   have used muller ramps for sale :wink: