April 24, 2024, 10:16:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

can i swap my wide belt for a narrow one?

Started by hogget, April 29, 2021, 02:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogget

i have an 88 flstc that i want to use 2019 flde wheels on - does anyone know if i can use the later narrower belt on my 88 without changing the front pulley? if so, are there any changes i'll need to make?
thanks in advance
rory

Scotty

You can run the narrow belt on the front pulley no problems just make the rear wheel is aligned with the front pulley.

Hossamania

Also make sure your front pulley is in good shape, a worn pulley will shorten the life of the belt. How many miles on the pulley?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JW113

Question: are the bearings/axles the same between '88 and '19? I thought somewhere along the line they went to metric bearings & axles...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Dan89flstc

Quote from: JW113 on April 29, 2021, 08:44:57 AM
Question: are the bearings/axles the same between '88 and '19? I thought somewhere along the line they went to metric bearings & axles...

-JW

Yes, on Softails they changed to sealed ball bearings in `2000.

A 2019 bike will have sealed ball bearings that fit a 25mm axle.

The `88 FLSTC has a 3/4" axle.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

itsafatboy

i did this on my 2001 fatboy , got a 06 softail swingarm because of the brake mount , also the 06 brakes but got PM brakes then the thin pulley and belt and changed fender to run a 200 tire , got the 07 fatboy wheels , 

hogget

thanks for the feedback - there seem to be more probs with fitting the later wheels than the narrow belt. am reconsidering whether i need nice new sparkly wheels