March 29, 2024, 07:25:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Data Logging

Started by rbabos, April 30, 2021, 05:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

April 30, 2021, 05:48:35 AM Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 08:15:54 AM by rbabos
Is it possible to hook up a new or already married to another bikes PV1 to data log only?  PCV with Auto-tune module currently on the other bike, that I'd like to data log.
Ron

Jamie Long

Quote from: rbabos on April 30, 2021, 05:48:35 AM
Is it possible to hook up a new or already married to another bikes PV1 to data log only?  PCV with Auto-tune module currently on the other bike, that I'd like to data log.
Ron

Yes you can use a Power Vision to log any Delphi ECM, does not need to be married however note it's going log at the ECU level, log data will not include any corrections applied with with a Power Commander as the PC is downstream and uses its own injector & coil drivers to control fuel/spark. Logging may be helpful for viewing knock retard and some other channels, however fuel & timing would essentially be a moving target (especially with an AT installed) and would not align with the ECM log data. 

rbabos

April 30, 2021, 02:08:14 PM #2 Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 04:08:57 PM by rbabos
Quote from: Jamie Long on April 30, 2021, 01:40:02 PM
Quote from: rbabos on April 30, 2021, 05:48:35 AM
Ron

Yes you can use a Power Vision to log any Delphi ECM, does not need to be married however note it's going log at the ECU level, log data will not include any corrections applied with with a Power Commander as the PC is downstream and uses its own injector & coil drivers to control fuel/spark. Logging may be helpful for viewing knock retard and some other channels, however fuel & timing would essentially be a moving target (especially with an AT installed) and would not align with the ECM log data.
Interesting. Good to know.
Ron

rbabos

May 07, 2021, 04:42:48 AM #3 Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 05:06:52 AM by rbabos
Jamie or anyone with PCV and PV experience.  According to DJ, the PV can be used to log the autotune module via CAN cable, rather then the normal bikes data plug. I really don't trust what some say at DJ plus the answers just bring more questions, followed with again short incomplete answers. Rinse and repeat gets old after a while. . Do you know for a fact the PV can datalog via the Can cable directly connected to the Autotune module? We are finding the POD300 to be a real pain and the guy can work a deal with DJ for Pod to PV exchange . Short log times and not enough signals to view at one time is the reason.  Thanks.
Ron

cheech

For the sake of understanding what you need. And I'm no PV expert.
What data are you needing to log outside of what the PV can log from factory ECM?
I've tuned a bike with the Autotune module and the CAN cable. But from my understanding the only data the Autotune was sending, was from the wideband O2's connected to it.

rbabos

May 07, 2021, 09:47:41 AM #5 Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 09:51:56 AM by rbabos
Basically to see how close the WB sensors are targeting the requested afr in the PCV cal. We can always use Datamaster for the ECM logging. Knock events, sensors and such.
Ron

cheech

Quote from: rbabos on May 07, 2021, 04:42:48 AM
We are finding the POD300 to be a real pain and the guy can work a deal with DJ for Pod to PV exchange .
Ron
I'd probably go through with that, FWIW.

Coyote

The AT module is just collecting the wide band data and passing it to the PV via the external CAN cable, right? The remaining log data comes from the PV connected to the bike data port.

rbabos

May 07, 2021, 11:54:14 AM #8 Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 11:59:38 AM by rbabos
Quote from: Coyote on May 07, 2021, 11:35:31 AM
The AT module is just collecting the wide band data and passing it to the PV via the external CAN cable, right? The remaining log data comes from the PV connected to the bike data port.
As far as I can tell, that's how I think it should work. The pcv autotune is just like the TT module as I see it.
Ron

Coyote

Quote from: rbabos on May 07, 2021, 11:54:14 AM
Quote from: Coyote on May 07, 2021, 11:35:31 AM
As far as I can tell, that's how I think it should work. The pcv autotune is just like the TT module as I see it.
Ron

Yep.

Jamie Long

Lets back up a moment and discuss the application; the vehicle, the modifications, and the specific tuning hardware that is installed, this will allow me to give you the best answer.

Note any Dynojet wideband peripheral can be used with any Dynojet tuning component that runs CAN. This means any Auto Tune kit, Wideband2, Target Tune, etc.. can be used as a wideband with any Power Commander V or Power Vision PV-1/PV-2 device and also integrate with a Dynojet dyno (running dynoware RT)

rbabos

Yes, I've come to that conclusion also. As for bike, TTS Supercharged V rod. PCV with autotune. Originally NB tuned with TTS but that's here nor there.  He got an exchange deal with DJ to swap the POD300 for a PV1. This is for no other reason then to get a better means of datalogging, noting else. PV will not be married to the bike, just a logger at this point. However, looking it over having a PV1 opens up the possibility to WB tune it with the PCV autotune and a TT enabled cal should one want to but in this case and the 104kpa limit, no real reason to go this route.  TT autotune module seems no different then the PCV autotune.  Since it's boosted and the PCV is doing what it's suppose to we will leave it as is and just use the PV1 as a logger. If we could turn back time and knowing he would go boost on the next upgrade, PV1 with TT for the NA tune first and then continue on with PCV for finalizing the tune for boost. Best of both worlds but you know how it goes?
Ron

rbabos

Just so you know. The PV is great for datalogging both the bikes signals and the WB afrs but he ran into a problem with it dropping out during the runs. There is a firmware from DJ that , while it still drops out sometimes , it recovers and continues to log, rather then needing a restart the log. Why they can't completely solve this is beyond me?
Ron