March 28, 2024, 02:07:00 PM

News:

Panhead Frame Question...

Started by JamLazyAss, April 30, 2021, 05:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamLazyAss

April 30, 2021, 05:05:24 PM Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 05:14:04 PM by JamLazyAss
I have a 52' Panhead.
Rigid straight leg frame.

How can I tell if the frame is OEM?
I'm guessing it probably isn't, but I'd like to verify it.

JamLazyAss
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Ohio HD

I think the factory straight leg frames were 1954 to 1957.

I had a 1955 straight leg Shovel - Pan. 

kd

I think that`s 55-57.  Anything earlier in a panhead was a wishbone.  I don`t think I have seen anyone copying the rear axle castings though.  It was common to cut off the front sidcar mounts so you can't count on that but if they are there and the rear axle casting are too it may be OEM late.  If they are the same as a known OEM frame and it's a straight leg it'll be the last 3 years.  How about a pic or two.
KD

kd

Those are guys that make frames.  How about this It was a changeover year with 3 frames. It was 2 styles of wishbone and one straight leg.
KD

Breeze

The joints/lugs on old Harley frames have casting numbers. When I took my wishbone down to bare metal, I remember seeing them. I seem to remember reading that some id can be made from them, but maybe not. It was a while ago.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

bump

The castings on harley frames are not castings but forged.

SP33DY

One other possibility is: If the seat post has been notched to clear the rear head/rocker box, it would be a Panhead in a Knucklehead frame.

drifter

Can't remember which years but somewhere I read that the top motor mount frame bracket has a date code stamped in.

Deye76

"The number you need to find is stamped on the right side of the original upper motor mount. If it has been cut or modified it may be gone. It will be a two digit number/letter combination representing the month and year produced. A stock '57 frame will have a number between about the 6th month of '56 and the 5th month of '57. That tends to coincide with the production run which came out in Sept for the new year and ends as the next years models are prepped." My understanding as well.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

RTMike

1957 was he only year of a Panhead strait leg frame.Knuckle head frames were strait leg but different dimensions than a pan frame

kd

Where did you find that info Mike?  :scratch:
KD

HogMike

Quote from: RTMike on May 02, 2021, 09:20:27 AM
1957 was he only year of a Panhead strait leg frame.Knuckle head frames were strait leg but different dimensions than a pan frame

My stock 1956 has the straight leg frame.
Hard to see from the pics but iirc, 1955-1957 were straight leg with the boomerang tool box mount, among other small changes.
HOGMIKE
SoCal

jmorton10

This was a stock 1957 straight leg when I bought it in 1969.

As you can see here, I didn't leave it that way for long lol.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Speeding Big Twin

Quote from: JamLazyAss on April 30, 2021, 05:05:24 PM
I have a 52' Panhead.
Rigid straight leg frame.

How can I tell if the frame is OEM?
I'm guessing it probably isn't, but I'd like to verify it.

JamLazyAss

Pan rigid frames were wishbone for 48 thru about mid-54. Pan rigid frames were straight leg for late-54 thru 57. But anything could have happened over the years so can you post photos of both sides of your frame please. On some pieces you may find forging numbers, forging hallmarks and/or forging die numbers which may help determine what you have. If at some stage the frame was sent to the factory for repair then it may have a certain number stamped on top of the seat post forging. Can you post photos of all markings you find.

Regarding Pan frame date codes, the earliest I'm aware of is on a frame made in Feb 53. But it's possible that some Pan frames made one month earlier were the first to receive a date code because H-D drawing 47004-49A had a certain 'stamping spec' added to it on January 5, 1953.
Eric

kd

KD