April 19, 2024, 02:34:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Chain drive questions

Started by Rob L, April 30, 2021, 10:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob L

I have an 09 Road glide with a 124 thats making 150 tq. I do use all of that torque when I get in that mood so I'm looking for real world experiences, the pros and cons from people that actually converted over to a chain. So far the belt is holding up but I know eventually it will decide to involuntarily leave the bike

Hossamania

Do a search of the site, a lot of info available.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

The pro is you won't break any more belts. The con is your transmission (3rd gear) becomes the weak link.  A 530 chain and a GrudgeBox seems to work tough. 
KD

JohnCA58

been running a 530 chain for 45K miles now with Baker 6 OD box and 146 tq.,    I wont run a aluminum rear sprocket, only steel and top quality chain with frequent cleaning and lube. currently with EK ZZZ 530 chain,  another Negative is rear wheel adjustment,  must be clean and use full torque on axle nut, otherwise that torque will pull that axle loose. 
YOLO

kd

I have found steel sprockets hard to come by this year.  I spoke with a couple of the top manufacturers and they are having trouble getting material for blanks. I settled on a couple of case hardened aluminum to get me through.
KD

jmorton10

Quote from: kd on May 01, 2021, 05:44:37 AM
The pro is you won't break any more belts. The con is your transmission (3rd gear) becomes the weak link.  A 530 chain and a GrudgeBox seems to work tough.

530 & GB is exactly what I have been running since breaking 3rd gear 3 times & tearing up 3 belts lol.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

kd

Quote from: jmorton10 on May 04, 2021, 03:05:11 PM
Quote from: kd on May 01, 2021, 05:44:37 AM
The pro is you won't break any more belts. The con is your transmission (3rd gear) becomes the weak link.  A 530 chain and a GrudgeBox seems to work though.

530 & GB is exactly what I have been running since breaking 3rd gear 3 times & tearing up 3 belts lol.

~John

:doh:  Those are my exact numbers too.  Now I'm going through a (well maintained) aluminum rear sprocket in 5,000 miles.  We'll see how the case hardened version holds up until I can get back into steel. 
KD