March 28, 2024, 07:23:30 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

clutch dragging hot

Started by waltcentral, May 01, 2021, 01:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltcentral

I replaced steels with the Alto anti rattle tabs and new Alto red discs. drum seems good and frictions discs were drilled slightly oversized and all seemed to not hang up cold. I plan on installing new steels tomorrow without the anti rattle tabs.
I have not seen much in the way of bad reviews of the Alto red discs. I could put put Barnett discs in but I need to figure if I should just do a Primo Rivera set up.

The clutch will drag enough that I need to add to the idle screw or it will die. Clutch free play and cable are good.

When adjusting the clutch to release evenly should I start with the 1 1/32 height and loosen from there?

Ohio HD

All you need is this. A clutch basket retainer. Don't use the cheap plastic retainers.

billbuilds

Yes, start with the 1-1/32 measurement. Haul in the clutch lever and see how evenly the pressure plate releases. If one side does not release as much as the other mark the two springs that are closest to the area that is not releasing as much as the other side. Take your pressure plate off and swap the spring out for those on the opposite side. Put the pressure plate back together using the 1-1/32 measurement and see if your pressure plate releases evenly. That's what you should be shooting for. The item that Ohio showed you is called a Tamer. They work pretty good.

72fl

I would put money on the Primary Chain being to tight after it warms up. I have same issues went through all the fixes out there, mine was a 3 stud nothing but problems. I loosened primary chain to 5/8" when cold. Give it a check. I also went with a Rivera Pro in the end and I tell you it shifts like a hot knife through butter, smooooooothhhhh :SM:

76shuvlinoff

QuoteI also went with a Rivera Pro in the end and I tell you it shifts like a hot knife through butter, smooooooothhhhh

Same here. I never successfully mastered the oem clutch. Not saying it can't be done but not by me. Especially after adding HP.

YMMV
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

waltcentral

My bike has a belt primary. Came on it when I bought it. No compensator. Not sure of it's source but looks like one I saw from Karata. It has the Sturgis 13.8 pitch belt.
With the old steels and clutch discs never had this problem. I have a ram jett disc that I never installed, I had a difficult time figuring out how to remove the stock retaining plate springs without destroying them. Supposed to rain tomorrow. Too nice today to wrench.

kd

Is it possible the new clutch discs are being effected by wear in the hub studs from the previous set-up?
KD

Ohio HD

A belt drive and no clutch basket retainer is 99% of the time the issue of the clutch dragging, especially when the belt gets hot....   and tighter.....

waltcentral

Thanks Ohio, that's what I was  thinking also. I will get the retainer in hopefully tomorrow along with new steels minus the rattle tabs. I allready have the parts.
kd the studs are smooth and not chewed up.

waltcentral

Got busy and did not check back. I aleady had the plastic ramm jet thing and i went ahead and installed it along with alto steels to replace the ones with anti-rattle tabs. No dragging hot.

Reddog74usa

I have the same set up you have in my 82 FXE. It slips when hot. You can't beat the Rivera Pro. Won't give you issues and shifts "Like a hot knife thru butter" Have a new one in the box on the work bench right now and just waiting till I have time to install it. One of the best upgrades for a shovel in my opinion.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

72fl

You're going to wonder why you waited so long Red. :SM:

Reddog74usa

72, LOL I already know how sweet the Rivera Pro is as I had one in a few of the shovels I had over the years. Best set up out there for a shovel IMHO...
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

72fl

Quote from: Reddog74usa on June 09, 2021, 07:32:36 AM
72, LOL I already know how sweet the Rivera Pro is as I had one in a few of the shovels I had over the years. Best set up out there for a shovel IMHO...
I tell ya they are great and when anyone asks what to do about the problems with a Shovelhead clutch, that's my answer save your money on all the gimmicks and buy a Rivera Pro :baby:

kd

"Listen to the jingle" is a panhead / shovelhead song that is sweet to my ears.  It comes from the relationship between the discs and the clutch hub studs. It's what tells you your clutch is released and not dragging.
KD

david lee

Quote from: kd on July 12, 2021, 02:23:08 PM
"Listen to the jingle" is a panhead / shovelhead song that is sweet to my ears.  It comes from the relationship between the discs and the clutch hub studs. It's what tells you your clutch is released and not dragging.
i run a vented belt primary and that jingle is annoying but i know the plates are working

motorhogman

Quote from: kd on July 12, 2021, 02:23:08 PM

Never bothered me a bit on my old shovel belt drive vented primary. Like you said it's a good noise..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Reddog74usa

Installed a Rivera Pro and she's all better now.....
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.