March 28, 2024, 04:05:26 PM

News:

Crank end play

Started by dusty1, May 03, 2021, 05:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dusty1

Anyone know the specs of crank end play? Cant seem to find it in the manual. Primary belt has been fine for a couple years, it's now walking in and out, trying to come off pulleys. Took open belt drive off and inspected clutch bearing (rivera pro clutch) and main shaft support bearing; all ok. Teeth on pulleys a little worn, but certainly not bad. Pushing and pulling front crank pulley, I can feel endplay which seems excessive to me. Don't have a dial indicator, but i'm guessing its at least .020" or more. Also noticed some brass/copper shavings on front spark plug. :scratch: 

ghostrider

Is the pulley nut tight on the front?  It needs to be tight, to set the timkin end play.  Off the top of my head I think the end play is somewhere around 0.004, but its almost impossible to measure in an assembled motor, and needs to be set when the case timkins are replaced.

motorhogman

2001 FLT SM  End Play  0.001 - 0.005 
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Lew

Flywheel end play:
(1980-1981) .001-.006 in.
(1982 and later) .001-.004 in.
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

dusty1

Yes, front pulley was tight, even with nut off ( press fit on sprocket shaft splines). The play is inside the assembled cases (pretty sure). I'll finish making a puller Friday to remove pulley. Clean, inspect, re-assemble. I'll re-check end play, doubt it will change (WAY more than .006"). I'll re-assemble primary, fire her up, and see if belt is still off tracking in AND out. Anyways, I'll post what I find, if anything.

I suspect the trouble may be the crank/lower end. It was rebuilt back in 2000. On a well worn 4th top end now. Stock 80" engine, 6 spd

dusty1

Took entire primary off, rotor cover, and rotor. Tightened up stator retaining bolts. Fully re-assembled the end play is gone. Belt not off tracking anymore, after a short ride. Have no idea how I "fixed" it. Weird  :chop:   

Burnout

The question posed was if the "front pulley was tight" was not pointed at the pulley, the nut that holds the pulley on also fixes the bearings on the crank.
If that nut was not tight enough the bearings would have excessive end play.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Ohio HD

Loose sprocket nut on the crank can also cause the crank movements to beat the Timken races loose from the case, wallow out the case where they press in, etc. Expensive repair.

Burnout

I was concerned that the nut was tight against a stuck pulley and not properly pinching the bearings.
Another thing I have seen is where the nut tightens against the end of the shaft and does not pinch the bearing
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"