April 18, 2024, 04:22:27 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2003 R.K Running issue.

Started by oldskool, May 03, 2021, 04:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldskool

My sons 03 Road King front CyLinder not firing. It's running on rear cylinder only. It will stall if I pull rear plug wire off while running.I put a spark tester on front plug and I have spark.. Anyone have a diagnostic flow chart to determine the issue ?Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hossamania

Carb or efi? If efi, check the wires going to the injector.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

A compression check will tell you if you need to look any further.
KD

oldskool

It is efi. Also bike has 33,000 miles and cam chain tensioners were done prior to son buying. Will check both though. Thanks guys

fleetmechanic

We had an '02 FLHTP that was doing the same thing.  The wire to the rear injector had been stretched in the frame area and was going open inside the sheath.

tdrglide

Had similar experience with a 03 RG. Injector wire for front cylinder broken inside sheath right where it entered the plug. Factory zip tie too close to plug put too much tension on wire. At first it was intermittent, worse when fully warmed up. If compression is good I would look at that Injector wire. Easy enough to check with an ohm meter.

kd

A  miggle test may pick that up.  I do know the injector wire problem was fairly wide spread in 04 so the 03 could be a candidate too.
KD

oldskool

I appreciate the comments and suggestions guys. I got the tank off and am gonna take a better look at injector wires tomorrow. Thanks..

Chief0299

Take a look at the color band on the injectors. Maybe someone else can jump in, but I'm pretty sure it was the early brown band injectors
that failed at times. You won't be able to tell as the internal solenoid still makes noise when energized.

Swap the injectors and see if the problem follows the injector. If so, voila. Purchase a new set of (white band I believe) injectors.

Tacocaster

You mention the chain tensioners being replaced by the previous owner (by him or a reputable mechanic?), which in turn implies the cams/plate were removed prior to your son's ownership but there's no mention of what happened between these events. Do you even know if your son was "poking around it" prior to the issue?
Said another way, did YOU hear it running correctly?

Pop a PR tube. If you find it has adjustable PR's, before you tear into a wiring witch-hunt, check that cylinder's compression as suggested. An easy thing to do and it's then known to be good. Then have at the wiring with gusto!
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

oldskool

My son has had the bike for 3 yrs. I went and looked at it and checked it out for him. They guy who had it before him babied it and had tensioners done just because he had heard of issues with them. The bike has been running great till now.So far ive got continuity from injector yellow and green wire back to system relay and continuity on white/Y ink wire back to cam pin. I'm gonna look at Injector color band and do the compression test.

oldskool

So I did a compression test and It had 155 lbs. Also it looks like brown band injector. Anyone else seen issues with these injectors ? That's what I'm leaning towards now.

kd

Swap the injectors from front to back and see if the dead cylinder follows it.
KD

mkd

i had the front spark plug wire rub through on the tank seam on the front left underside where the plug wire comes out under the tank on my 05 eglide. 

oldskool

Update it was the front injector. Replaced Saturday and my sone was down the road. Just in time for blessing of the bikes in Baldwin MI Sunday. Thanks everyone

Ajayrk

AJ