April 18, 2024, 04:19:52 AM

News:

S&S Adjustable PR Preload

Started by nomadmax, May 05, 2021, 06:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nomadmax

I'm running S&S Standard adjustable pushrods along with S&S premium lifters (not limited travel), current preload is .125.  I'm thinking of experimenting with adding a little more pre-load by adding some flats (.0052) per flat to get me near .140 preload.

I get what I consider to be a little excess noise and have installed rock outs, and inspected the pushrod tubes for witness marks (there are none).  So the question is:

Is preload up to .140 recommended or used by anyone here?  Maybe something in between?

Deye76

If it's just a little, ride it and enjoy.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

rigidthumper

Some folks report no difference @ .140, some think it may be a "bit" better. Did you read the "Tick @ 2800" thread?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

nomadmax

Thanks all, I had not seen the other thread.  I'm headed out of town a trip so I may just leave it be.  I'm superstitious about making changes before a trip ;)

Hossamania

May 05, 2021, 11:31:52 AM #4 Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 11:37:22 AM by Hossamania
Quote from: nomadmax on May 05, 2021, 10:28:27 AM
Thanks all, I had not seen the other thread.  I'm headed out of town a trip so I may just leave it be.  I'm superstitious about making changes before a trip ;)

Nothing superstitious about it, it's just good advice to not do any work on the bike right before a trip, unless absolutely necessary (tires, brakes, maybe oil). Even those should be done a week beforehand. That's my method anyway.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Santos

I did the SE adjustable push rods set them at .125 but read elsewhere you can go as high as .150 without a problem.